VOGONS

First post, by Barabbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

First of all I have to thank for this GREAT Program. I tested more than 300 games and less than 20 did NOT work. *THUMBS UP*
Thanks for your work!!!

I found some micro- bugs (:D), just wanted to mention it:

1) Using relative Pathes (such as ".") in connection with dosbox function (i.e. mount) will make dosbox interprete those pathes in relation to the dosbox- installdir. This ist not really a bug, but in my opinion it would be more usefull, if dosbox would "read" those relative pathes from the base- dir of the virtual drive... if "c:\some_dirs\data" was mounted as "c:\" dosbox should understand "." as "c:\some_dirs\data", for example. (only in connection with DOSBOX- functions)

2) Using relative pathes with dos- functions - such as "subst" - is understood as relative path in relation to the base- dir of the virtual drive. For that typing "subst a: ." will in most cases lead to a "Directory X doesn't exist" because subst asks for a directory on the VIRTUAL drive. I think virtual drive an real- basedir were mixed up here.

3) Using relative pathes for pathes containing spaces will lead to an error; example: "subst a: ." will not be found if "." stands for "c:/documents and settings/etc".

Ok, i hope my explanations were understandable,

cu

Barabbas

Reply 1 of 4, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) & 2): MOUNT is to be used with host's directory structure and SUBST with internal "virtual" drives. For SUBST name must be in 8.3 FAT format, while you must use real name with MOUNT.

3) I can confirm that. It seems that function that gets full path for a directory cuts it after a first space (ExpandName I think).

Can you give example for 2) when subst doesn't work?

Reply 2 of 4, by Barabbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Salvete!

The error in the second example appears if you send a Batchfile containing "subst a: ." to the dosbox. In this special case dosbox will NOT use the internal structure but the dosbox directory as relative path 😒

Furthermore, as you said, "mount" should be used with the host's directory structure. Sending a Batchfile containing "mount a: ." to dosbox will make dosbox use again its own path as relative path.

The problem seems to be the the parametre- function of dosbox... obviously dosbox always sets its own directory as relative path when a file is sent to it.

As I said: These are miiiiiiiiiinor bugs, I hope I dont' waste your time...

thanks,

Barabbas

Reply 3 of 4, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the problem is with spaces in path: use quotation marks (with mount). For subst, it'll be fixed in next version.
Mount doesn't see dosbox's internal structure and doesn't care about internal working drive. Subst does the opposite (doesn't see host's dir structure or working drives).

Reply 4 of 4, by Barabbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your hint, for that I've spent half my life with DOS I know this "quatation thing" 😉

As I said: Virtual and Host's drive structure do get mixed up when sending an Batchfile containing relative pathes to DosBox. Create an Batchfile containing relative pathes and drop it on the dosbox executable, you'll se.

I don't wan't to annoy anyone, it's not that important.

best regards

Daniel aka Barabbas