VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 340 of 1550, by pahandav

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The joystick doesn't work if you change the deadzone setting after starting DOSBox. It does work if you set the deadzone setting in the .conf file, however. This affects both the ECE and vanilla versions.

Reply 343 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aaaaaand... it's updated! r4076 is up!

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 345 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote:

How can i get rid of these black bars on top and bottom?

https://pp.userapi.com/c831309/v831309712/793 … NwwvWg4ozPw.jpg

Are you using "surfacepp" as output? If so, you won't get those removed. If not, please post the content of your .conf file.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 346 of 1550, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yesterplay80 wrote:
vorob wrote:

How can i get rid of these black bars on top and bottom?

https://pp.userapi.com/c831309/v831309712/793 … NwwvWg4ozPw.jpg

Are you using "surfacepp" as output? If so, you won't get those removed. If not, please post the content of your .conf file.

Please, tell me what I should use to get rid of them. Cause it looks strange.

Reply 348 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote:

Okay, this output=surfacenp solved my issue, but fps in quake 1 is horrible, why?
In output=opengl fps is okay.

Surfacepp and surfacenp both have higher hardware requirements than opengl or openglnb, that's why it runs worse with more deamnding games like Quake.

Reply 349 of 1550, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For most true to DOS experience try these settings:

[sdl]
windowresolution=640x480 <--- This is important, else the window will be HUGE since the scaler set to 'forced'.
output=opengl

[render]
aspect=true
scaler=normal5x forced

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cputype=auto
cycles=fixed 40000
cycleup=5000
cycledown=5000

40,000 cycles is somewhere around Pentium 133.
Use cycle up/down to adjust for newer games that use higher resolutions than 320x200, or older games that don't boot or have sound issues.
I find that 40,000 is the sweet spot for most DOS games.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 350 of 1550, by jonney5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like there might be an issue with DOSBox ECE 4085 and Descent 2. DOSBox EXE 4085 hangs up when the intro video tries to play. I've tested various versions of DOSBox ECE back through version 4007 and all of them seem to hang on the video playback. Descent 2 is working fine with both DOSBox .74 and the plain DOSBox SVN 4085 versions.

Reply 351 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jonney5 wrote:

Looks like there might be an issue with DOSBox ECE 4085 and Descent 2. DOSBox EXE 4085 hangs up when the intro video tries to play. I've tested various versions of DOSBox ECE back through version 4007 and all of them seem to hang on the video playback. Descent 2 is working fine with both DOSBox .74 and the plain DOSBox SVN 4085 versions.

No issue here, at least with the version from GOG. It runs just fine with output=overlay and output=openglnb (didn't try the other options).

DESCENT2_DOSBOX_ECE_r4085.jpg
Filename
File size
67.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 353 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Durandall wrote:

Dungeon Keeper seems to lack aspect correction when loading a map with surfacepp.
The loading screen and in-game appear fat.

That's exactly how it is supposed to be. The intro, loading screen and the game are natively rendered in 320x200, which is a 16:10 widescreen resolution, the menu and the map selection instead is rendered in 640x480 natively, which is a regular 4:3 resolution. Since surfacepp scales the image keeping it's correct aspect ratio, you get a wider (fat, as you called it) image when the widescreen resolutions are used and a tighter image whenever 4:3 is used.

DK_INTRO.jpg
Filename
DK_INTRO.jpg
File size
209.38 KiB
Views
File license
DK_MENU.jpg
Filename
DK_MENU.jpg
File size
384.13 KiB
Views
File license
DK_GAME.jpg
Filename
DK_GAME.jpg
File size
210.37 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 354 of 1550, by jonney5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:
jonney5 wrote:

No issue here, at least with the version from GOG. It runs just fine with output=overlay and output=openglnb (didn't try the other options).

I finally figured out what my issue was. The ECE version hangs up on the video playback if the PC speaker option is disabled.

Thanks for helping me figure out what was going on.

Reply 355 of 1550, by Durandall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

That's exactly how it is supposed to be. The intro, loading screen and the game are natively rendered in 320x200, which is a 16:10 widescreen resolution, the menu and the map selection instead is rendered in 640x480 natively, which is a regular 4:3 resolution. Since surfacepp scales the image keeping it's correct aspect ratio, you get a wider (fat, as you called it) image when the widescreen resolutions are used and a tighter image whenever 4:3 is used.

Did you try switching to hi-res in-game with alt-r? I think it's alt-r

Reply 356 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Durandall wrote:

Did you try switching to hi-res in-game with alt-r? I think it's alt-r

Just did that. As I suspected, this just doubles the resolution from 320x200 to 640x400, which is still 16:10.

jonney5 wrote:

I finally figured out what my issue was. The ECE version hangs up on the video playback if the PC speaker option is disabled.

I just tried it myself and the exact same thing happened. This error comes from the patch that makes the emulated pc speaker sound more like a real one. I mentioned it in the corresponding thread and hope that it will get a fix.

Reply 357 of 1550, by Durandall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Just did that. As I suspected, this just doubles the resolution from 320x200 to 640x400, which is still 16:10.

Thanks for checking it out. I suppose I've gotten used to incorrect aspect via manual config 😀.
I love being able to fullscreen with surfacepp, no distractions.

Reply 359 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
truemaster wrote:

hello i use your ece edition and its good. but how about 3dfx games? i get unable to load dll. im on windows 10

A little more info would be useful. Which game causes the error? How did you configure the DOSBox settings?