VOGONS

Windows 3.1 in 256 colours

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 93, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Do you mean the sb drivers linked to in the windows 3.x guide for dosbox? Because those used to work, if those do not work anymore I need to know that.

The screen problem does not affect everyone, btw. Works fine for me on OS X (that has another bug though with that many colors).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 81 of 93, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I downloaded dosbox it didn't come with a Windows 3.x guide. There doesn't seem to be a Windows 3.x guide at the start of this thread either.

The drivers I used were the ones that you can find by going to http://support.creative.com/Products/product_ … e=Sound+Blaster and selecting "Others" and "Sound Blaster 16" (under "archived products"), then clicking "Next". When you manually select Windows 3x driver, the result contains two pages with SB16 drivers on them: "Sound Blaster 16/SB32/AWE32 Basic Disk for DOS/Windows 3.1 Installation" and "Windows 3.1x drivers for the Sound Blaster ISA 16/32/64 cards". The former worked for me, the latter did not (it didn't even put anything in control panel/drivers, while the former did).

Reply 82 of 93, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This forum has a dosbox guides sub forum which has this guide.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 84 of 93, by BastetFurry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@wd:
Why? It works like a charme.
You just need more DOS-foo than the average Win-User (Post 9x) to get it running flawlessly.
I do a 3.11 install on DOSBox while still half asleep waiting for my coffee machine to make me some "Potion of Resurection". 😉

@arromdee3:
If you want the SB drivers inside Win3.x you need to run the DOS installer... sounds weird, but the Creative DOS installer detects Windows and places the drivers inside it and edits the win.ini for you.

I am not at home currently and cant access my machine trough NX because its off, otherwise i would have uploaded the driver for you, drivers are free for distribution anyways. And while i am at it i would upload WinG, Win32s and Intel Indeo too.

BTW, i use that setup to play Die Total Verrückte Rally and Battle Isle 3 from BlueByte.
Both won't run on modern Windowses and not even in WINE, but they run flawlessly on DOSBox with Windows 3.11.

Reply 85 of 93, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You just need to follow the guide and you are set 😉

But wd replied to the op who's better off not running w3.11 😉 also no need to revive that old threads for writing stuff that is in the guide 😉

Reply 87 of 93, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Feel free to add anything to the guide thread if you find something missing 😉

Reply 89 of 93, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please don't tell us you saved your first post for this...

Reply 91 of 93, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canadacow wrote:
CVS 12-22-2004 […]
Show full quote

CVS 12-22-2004

Includes almost complete emulation of video emulation needed for the S3 Windows 3.1 driver. There are still some bugs remaining but the interface is usable and stable

Following link is the driver needed, S3 864 v1.41B5
864141b5.zip
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?4009

I've only tested 640x480 and 800x600 in 256 colors using SF or LF modes.

You may have to skip the Windows splash screen by running, "win /b".

Broken link. Where can I down the Windows 3.1 256 color driver now?

Reply 93 of 93, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Necroposting annoys me, especially when this last page already deals with that. So locked