VOGONS

First post, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It used to be there, but now (for some unknown reason) I get a generic document icon in the Taskbar and in the Properties window. Nothing I have tried has restored it. It shows the icon on the desktop shortcut and on the actual exe. It just doesn't show it in the taskbar when the program is running or in the properties window if I look at it. Any clues?

Windows 10
Core i5 64-bit
HP Pavilion

Reply 4 of 8, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed that STEAM and GOG both include DOSBox in their game installations for the Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny games, but neither one is version 0.74-3. In the case of STEAM, it is version 0.74-2, and in the case of GOG it is version 0.74-0. In both cases the DOSBox executable shows the DOSBox icon in the Properties window, so I uninstalled 0.74-3 and ran the installer again. Again, the executable did not display the DOSBox icon in the Properties window, but did display the generic document icon. I have a feeling it is the way it is being installed that is the problem. I am going to try re-downloading the installer and reinstalling DOSBox again to see if anything changes.

Reply 5 of 8, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I uninstalled 0.74-3 and reinstalled it using a fresh copy of the installer I just downloaded. The same thing happens. The application does not display the correct icon in the Properties window, even though it does display the correct icon in the explorer window, and the desktop shortcut displays the correct icon on the desktop, but shows the generic document icon in the Properties window. Running any game that uses DOSBox shows the generic document icon in the taskbar instead of the DOSBox icon. I can't say that it's definitely the installer, because I don't know that, but I can't see it being my system with two other versions of DOSBox in existence on my drive and they display the correct icon both in the Properties window and on the taskbar. In case someone asks, 0.74-3 was on my hard drive long before I installed STEAM or GOG GALAXY.

Reply 8 of 8, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'll be switched! That fixed it. There's something about the folder name DOSBox-0.74-3 that breaks it. I installed it again to DOSBox-0.74-3a in the Program Files (x86) folder and it fixed it. I uninstalled the DOSBox-0.74-3 copy and renamed DOSBox-0.74-3a to DOSBox-0.74-3 and it was broken again. Changing it back to DOSBox-0.74-3a fixed it again. so, I can't explain it, but apparently the DOSBox-0.74-3 folder name on my computer has an issue in Windows 10 64-bit. Thanks for the suggestion. I would have never thought of it.