VOGONS

Virtual Modem

Topic actions

First post, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was wondering why the DOSBox virtual modem connects out on port 17 instead fo 23 as specified in the config file. This is on the latest CVS build by AEP. I'm using Telix to test if modem works because I can send direct AT commands. Any ideas how to make it change to port 23 like it says in the config? Thanks.

Reply 2 of 10, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it officially broken? How did you come to this conclusion?

Also, do you know how to put the portnumber you're dialing to into the ATDT string?

Reply 3 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you try that direct serial thingie of hal-9000 (dosbox patches section)
the last version should have updated/(fixed) modem capabilities

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 10, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Direct serial is not my problem, the virtual modem is.

And installing patches is kind of difficult, because I have installed dosbox through my package manager in Gentoo Linux and I don't want to install software without it.

I've been trying to analyze some network traffic and modem messages, and it seems dosbox never even makes a connection to the ouside world. When warcraft sends ATZ to the modem, in my console I see "sending OK", but it doesn't get further than that. I would suspect that it would continue with ATDT etc. Ethereal also doesn't show anything.

Reply 5 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well who said something about installing.
you can just compile dosbox to try it out.
installing would be next step. Please keep things seperated from each other.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 10, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Humm, 17 is hexadecimal for 23. Are you sure it's 17 decimal? How did you check / what software told you it's 17, and might it mean 0x17 (hex) instead?

Reply 7 of 10, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When running dosbox from a console, when the program executes the ATDT string, this appears in the stdout:

host 127.000.000.001 port 17

But, I mostly can't get it to even get this far. I was able to get this by running the Terminal Velocity modem game several times, and after a few times it suddently went further than the initial "ATZ, Sending OK", and started dialing.

I also noticed that appending more numbers after 127000000001 changed the portnumber, but I didn't see the logic in that. It got me something like 2323d when I supplied 9005. Hex code perhaps?

Reply 10 of 10, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the portnumber is not my biggest problem. My biggest problem is that almost every app sends ATZ to the modem, modem sends OK and then nothing. What should happen is that the app continues with ATDT etc. Only Terminal Velocity does that, but only when I re-start the modem game several times. At least the first time I start a modem game, it also hangs on Sending OK of the modem.