VOGONS

First post, by Arctic-Cat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a heads up that DOSBox 0.65 did a great job getting Lost in Time working for the most part. I unfortunately came to a part where it does lose timing with the sequence in the game. It's the point where you manage to open the strange box that you find once you get aboard the wrecked ship. Jarlath steps in and that's where it holds. You see his lips move and nothing more. The sequence does not play out with the audio track. As a result, it hangs there indefinitely. I have loaded it a few times to ensure it was simply not a synchronization error on my part. But it seems to do it at that part each time.

Reply 1 of 7, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you make a CD image of the game, or are you playing from a real CD-ROM drive?
I would recommend making a CD image and to mount it with DOSBOXs IMGMOUNT.
If this doesn't work, please post a save game of the file, and I'll try it on my copy of the game.

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 2 of 7, by Arctic-Cat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry. I'm familiar with making CD images. But for some reason, I can't get DOSBox to load the one I made from the CD. IT always returns a MSCDEX: Failure: Path not valid. Even though it is there plain as day. Be it in the mounted directory or outside it.

But that should answer your one question as to whether I play direct from the CD or not. I do. And I can't find any documentation or discussion of proper creation of images and getting them to load properly in DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 7, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please elaborate on how you made the image and how you tried to load it from within dosbox (include exactly what you type in dosbox and the locations of the CD image and its file name as well)

Reply 5 of 7, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having the exact same problem in DOSBox 0.70. I wonder if rolling back to 0.60/1/2 would help, since some people claimed they got it working fine in it years ago. (Although, the game technically loads fine, it just hangs at this Jarlath sequence).

I wonder why making an image would help.. Still, I'll give it a go.

- Spike

Reply 6 of 7, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try IMGMOUNT for mounting, I discovered it does a better job than Daemon tools with Audio tracks syncing...

If it still hangs, please post a save game so I'll try it on my version.

Reply 7 of 7, by JasonA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry. I'm familiar with making CD images. But for some reason, I can't get DOSBox to load the one I made from the CD. IT always returns a MSCDEX: Failure: Path not valid. Even though it is there plain as day. Be it in the mounted directory or outside it.

I'm having that exact same problem. I used cdrdao/toc2cue to create my Bin/Cue files, and daemontools does not have a problem mounting them, so I can only assume they are valid.

I've not yet found out why, and there doesn't seem to be much info about this.. Was an answer found?