VOGONS

kens labyrinth

Topic actions

First post, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game freezes up when i use digital sound on dosbox 0.70 and 0.65 and only runs with digital sound on 0.63. Is their a way to run the game with digital sound on later dosbox versions. It cannot run with digital sound on versions before 0.63 and versions after 0.63.

Reply 1 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Afaik it's a game bug, try some older version of the game and see if that works.

Reply 3 of 7, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do not want to get a windows port. I have the dos version of doom and the dos version of quake running perfectly with dosbox without ports. I don't want to use windows ports. I only have 500 mhz. I have a video card that is terriable for later windows games. I have a crappy sound card. My viedo card is only good for early windows games and dos games. My computer may be lowend but i can still get quake running with dosbox and not use up too much system resources. The computer does not run too hard running quake with dosbox.

My settings for quake are: 25 thousand cycles,10 frame skip,16 mb. That seems to work good enough. I last ran it on dosbox 0.65.

Reply 4 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, way to excuse out friendly helpful suggestions. 🙄

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 7, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
abyss wrote:

I do not want to get a windows port.

Jorpho was offering good advice, no need to throw a tantrum.

Running Quake with a frameskip of 10... you do realise that this isn't a good thing don't you? And 25000 cycles on a 500Mhz machine 'sounds' too high but hey whatever you think's best 😉

Should I suggest there are quite a few Quake ports available 😉 😁

DOSBox is very [very] good but with your machine you're not exactly getting the best from it. Windows ports will typically have better performance (those that are straight ports, not enhancements for example), VDMSound is also an option and finally an upgrade or three wouldn't go amiss!

Reply 6 of 7, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dosbox is much more better to use. I like how easy it is to exit the game and i like how you can run the games in a window. It makes really easy use to look for hints and faqs/walkthrous if you need one.

Reply 7 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That's not the problem of your answer, but next time you should
use something like "Thanks for your suggestion, but ..."
and everybody will like you MUCH more. Promised. Sort of.