VOGONS

Whiplash (Fatal Racing)

Topic actions

First post, by Tyler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own the original Whiplash game on CD-ROM. That said, I'm having a problem getting it to play on DOSBox 0.70. I think it might have something to do with the copy-protection scheme, but that's just a guess.

I have tried mounting the CD-ROM drive in the various ways that give DOSBox increasingly more direct access to the hardware, but nothing has really helped.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get this game to run?

Thanks for your help! 😁

Asus P5E Deluxe (X48 & ICH9R)
Intel Core2Duo E8400 (3 GHz) w/ Zalman CNPS9500A LED
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum Edition (4GB)
Diamond ATI Radeon HD 3780 512MB PCI-E 2.0

Reply 1 of 4, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try "mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl" and run the install from inside dosbox?

Reply 2 of 4, by Tyler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I sure did. I can see the DOSBox window (I run everything in a window) go from showing my settings to the standard default settings to closing. ( I have it set to autoclose on exit).

Asus P5E Deluxe (X48 & ICH9R)
Intel Core2Duo E8400 (3 GHz) w/ Zalman CNPS9500A LED
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum Edition (4GB)
Diamond ATI Radeon HD 3780 512MB PCI-E 2.0

Reply 3 of 4, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try making an image of the game with ultraiso, poweriso or cdrwin in bin/cue and then mount in dosbox, you have to put the two files "the ones with bin and cue extension" in the mounted dosbox directory, so if you mount c c:\something you have to put the files in there and then in the dosbox you have to "imgmount d c:\filewithextension.cue -t iso" and start from there to install the game and see if it works.

Reply 4 of 4, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have run it in DOSBox 0.70 with both the CD and a CD image I made. I used 'mount d d:\ -t cdrom' in both instances and it worked fine. Have you tried running the game in Windows? It will run, but the CD drive letter the disc is in has to be the 1st non-hard drive drive letter available (C is HD, D is CD, or C is HD, D is HD, E is CD...) If it runs in Windows, at least we'll know it's a DOSBox issue.

I do assume that you are running DOSBox in Windows. If not, than there might be more to the issue.