VOGONS

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello there.

I use to play the CD version of "Strike Commander" under DOSBox, and while latest version has achieved a wonderful performance improvement, it also causes the game to crash in-game after a couple of missions.

The worse thing is that I'm almost sure it's not DOSBox fault, because the game also crashed exactly the same way in my old P166.

Any tips to avoid the crashes? Any ideas to fix the issue?

Thank you in advance.

Reply 3 of 16, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've captured the error message the game produces when it crashes. What a pity Origin was't more clear about what is making the game crash.

dosbox000oh3.th.png

As I said, I don't think it's DOSBox related. For some reason the game worked fine on 486 CPUs, but when I upgraded to a P166 I also started observing these crashes. The game did crash less on previous DOSBox versions, but with the performance improvement of the last version the problem has resurfaced. Can it be Pentium-related?

Reply 4 of 16, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well i have never heard of this strike commander before but have you tried all of the cores. Tried going on the mission with different cycles. You may have to use an earlier version of dosbox.

You can download 0.63 and 0.65 still. You are unable to download the versions before 0.63 and yet bio menace runs best on dosbox 0.58.

Reply 6 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

bio menace runs best on dosbox 0.58

Oh that runs fine in 0.70.

If the problem with strike commander is with the speed itself,
just see if it works when reducing the cycles (either fixed cycles
or cycles=max 50% or something).

Reply 9 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Thank you. could you try to run the game with the highest possible cycle count that your pc can handle without using max or auto ?
I would like to know if the varying of cycles (auto and max) makes the game crash or the speed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 16, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's difficult to say. When I play with both cycle and core set at "auto" the game hangs in-game every two missions or so. Now I've tried how fast can really run "Strike Commander" in my system, and while menus and videos stutter at 50,000 cycles (dynamic core) in-game allows far more exagerate cycles rates:

desktopxt2.th.png

I didn't even know DOSBox could run at that speed, honestly. I should say that even when the DOSBox window says "Max" the game is actually running slower than in the screenshot. With these settings the game is completely unplayable, it runs way too fast.

Reply 11 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

but does it crash (maybe when you run it comparable to the speed of the max setting ) ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 16, by WarTourist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've gotten the game working great and captured most of the cinematics up to the Alasa missions: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0721E2CE0D28FF4D.

I use 15k-25k cycles, the low for the cine's and high for in game. EMS/XMS/UMB all set to true.

Game works like a champ!