VOGONS

First post, by starlancer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, first off I just want to say hello to all the veterans here. I'm new to the forums and just want to properly introduce my n00b-ness 😜 and to the point!...

I've recently re-discovered my old Beneath a Steel Sky CD, shoveled away in some of old games of past. I installed DOSbox, everythings fine there..I also installed BaSS, or tried too, and theres one major flaw to trying to get it work with DOSbox. When I try to install the game, on the installation screen where I choose which Directory I want BaSS to be installed...it shows nothing 🙁 I cant choose one because its empty...I try to manually put it in and it says Invalid Drive Path...At first I scratched my head..but then I realized. My hard drive is of the new Serial ATA hard drives..I dont have a IDE connected Hard Drive anymore...so im thinking its not detecting it cause it think its some sort of Plug n Play device or something? I dont know..just thought I'd ask the Pros here and see what type of solutions, if any, I could get...Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

make sure you've mounted a "c" drive for games to install into.

ie.

1. Make a folder on C drive in Windows XP etc - like say, C:\Dosprog

2. run DosBox

3. In dosbox type mount c c:\Dosprog

You need to mount both the CDROM and a virtual C drive (or any letter of destination for that matter, best to stick with standard DOS conventions for best compatibility though).

If that doesn't work be aware that BaSS is available totally cost-free (including the CDROM 'talkie' version - the developers decided to give it away) from www.scummvm.org and works 100% with SCUMMVM - an emulation program that runs a lot of the famous adventure games of the day that used the LucasArts SCUMM adventure game engine including the most of the Monkey Island series, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Day of the Tentancle, Simon the Sorcerer and more.

Reply 2 of 4, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would rather install the floppy version as when i play a game like police quest 4 i use text instead of speech. So speech does not really matter and if you have ever noticed carefully on police quest 4 cd version that some of the text is different from the speech. They say the same things but sometimes they say things in different way in speech. Floppy and speech versions are a bit different in what the characters say.

Reply 4 of 4, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dh4rm4 wrote:

The floppy version is also available free from www.scummvm.org .

... should prefer to run it with ScummVM.
Then no installation is needed.

Klimawandel.