VOGONS

Magic Carpet Multiplayer

Topic actions

First post, by KadeshSa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Works. Needs Netbios though (and IPXNET - edit the DOSBOX.cfg file). Also needs to start with 'carpet.exe -network'. I created a batch file carpet.bat like this (ignore anything in brackets) @echo off cls ipxnet connect 192.168.0.??? (server to connect to) ipxnet startserver (in case it doesnt start a server) c:\novell\nios\netbios.exe (wherever you put netbios) carpet.exe -network

Apparently it works, and I am dying to try it. However, the above has totally lost me.

First off, I have no idea whether I have Netbios or IPXNET and I have no idea how to get them.

Secondly, I don't know what he means by editing the DOSBOX.cfg file for IPXNET.

Otherwise, I have a pretty good idea of what the Batch file is doing etc. I'm just lost on the Netbios/IPXNET stuff. Can anyone here give me a hand?

Reply 1 of 26, by KadeshSa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I have managed to get all the netbios and IPXNet stuff together and have even managed to start a networked game of Magic Carpet. However, I can't reproduce it.

When I'm on the network screen with the wizards, levels, etc. I got a networked game to start once both LANed computers had a corresponding wizard "readied" with a blinking Wizard. However, at the moment I can only get one Wizard to blink and I can't get the game to start again. If there is anyone else that has successfully created and reproduced a Magic Carpet Network match, can they offer me some advice here?

Reply 2 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You started netbios.exe after making the IPX connection? DOSBox 0.70?

1+1=10

Reply 3 of 26, by KadeshSa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes. DOSBOX .70. Connection was made (one computer was server, the other client) and netbios was running. I actually managed to start one networked game, but I am having difficulty consistently reproducing it.

I guess an answer to this question would help me the most:

What order should the following be done:
ipx connection
netbios load
magic carpet load
game join (which comp goes first, server or client?)

Reply 4 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

1. ipxnet startserver
2. ipxnet connect
3. netbios
4. game

> (which comp goes first, server or client?)
doesn't matter

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 26, by KadeshSa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, that works every time.

Reply 6 of 26, by drillah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
Sorry to bring a post back from over a year ago but...

Is there a chance this will work over the net or is it cabable of lan play only?

"Save the Harpy"

Reply 7 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try it, depends on the game wether it will accept the higher latency.

1+1=10

Reply 8 of 26, by BlazeKore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me get MC1 off the ground?

I'm having a few problems at the moment. For some reason, Dosbox MC1 (Hidden Worlds) isn't working at all on my friend's Vista machine. When he selects a game on the hires screen, it just exits back to the dos prompt.

The other problem I have is just a small one. I really want to get multiplayer working, so I followed the steps mentioned above, but I can't find netbios.exe, and I can't work out how to install it either.

BTW, does anyone know if MC multiplayer should work if you try by yourself? I've heard that it can, but I can't click on the the multiplayer icon.

Thanks for your help in advance 😁

Reply 9 of 26, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

make sure that you are using dosbox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 26, by BlazeKore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm pretty sure I am...

I have a little experience you know...

If you're referring to my friend's Vista setup, I'll check.

Reply 11 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
BlazeKore wrote:

I have a little experience you know...

Uh-oh! 🤐

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

About the small problem: the netbios.exe was posted on this forum somewhere, use the search function. The multiplayer button will only be enabled when netbios.exe is loaded.

1+1=10

Reply 13 of 26, by BlazeKore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Minimax:
🤣
Okay, so I'm fairly inexperienced with dosbox 😁

h-a-l-9000:
Thanks for the help. I'll try that now...

...Yep! Multiplayer seems to be working. Well, I click on the icon, choose a level, and the white wizard flashes for a bit, then the red wizard starts, so I assume it's working anyway. I'll get back later as to whether it works through the LAN.

I fixed the Vista PC too. Turns out his data files are on his D:, so he had this in his config file:

mount D:\ D:\oldgames

which I changed to:

mount C:\ C:\oldgames

Thanks for the help![/quote]

Reply 14 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Why do you think 'mount c d:\oldgames' is not possible?

1+1=10

Reply 15 of 26, by BlazeKore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, typo. It was actually mount C: D:\oldgames

Reply 16 of 26, by BlazeKore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great!

Thanks for your help everyone. We played 4 computers together on the LAN today, without a hitch.

Well, netbios or ipxnet is making the game crash every so often, but not often enough to be a hassle.

Going to try MC2 next. Wish me luck!

Reply 17 of 26, by Seanes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

Seems to me that everyone on this post knows how to start a multiplayer game in magic carpet 1. Well I for one just can't figure out what i'm doing wrong, but it doesn't work with me. Could anyone please give me some sort of guide as to how I can startup a multiplayer game in magic carpet 1? I'd be very gratefull

Greetz Seanes

Reply 19 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

My build isn't needed, only netbios.exe.

The difference between this one and IPX games is you load netbios.exe (TSR) after you made the IPX connection with ipxnet.

1+1=10