VOGONS

First post, by mtxcoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm trying to use Dreamweb in Dosbox. I'm using the Abandonia version. When I start dreamweb.exe, I hear music/sound but the screen stays black. I checked my dosbox.conf file:

[sdl]

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=opengl
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]

language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with an AMD Athlon 64 processor, 2 GB ram, and Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT. I've searched the forums here and it seems like noone else has this problem; could it be an issue with the version of Dreamweb I have?

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't know if it helps, but try playing with the different output=......... settings.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 11, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mtxcoll wrote:

could it be an issue with the version of Dreamweb I have?

Possible. I played thru Dreamweb in DOSBox with no problem. But then again, I played it from the CD I bought.

Reply 4 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or, in the case of catchaserguns, we don't answer questions at all, but find great joy and deep fulfillment in telling anyone that wants to hear it (or doesn't - makes no difference), that Abandonware related questions are not welcome on VOGONS. (; As i am not a part of the collective that catchaserguns refers to as "we" (whatever that may be), i can try to help you a bit.

The game works fine with DOSBox v0.70. As MiniMax suggested, you should try different "ouput" settings. It would probably also be wise to test if other games do work.

Reply 5 of 11, by mtxcoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the prompt assistance! I tried the different "output" settings to no avail, but I realized that I was using Dosbox v.0.71 so I installed the 0.70 version instead and it worked! 😎

Reply 7 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

uh oh, indeed. shouldn't do that 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jup, that's why i was "Uh-Oh"-ing. (; I didn't have much time to test 0.71 until now - did a few games now, but so far, Dreamweb is the only one with a black screen.

Reply 9 of 11, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

Or, in the case of catchaserguns, we don't answer questions at all, but find great joy and deep fulfillment in telling anyone that wants to hear it (or doesn't - makes no difference), that Abandonware related questions are not welcome on VOGONS. (; As i am not a part of the collective that catchaserguns refers to as "we" (whatever that may be)...

there's no need to criticize him for that. there enough of threads on this forum where people asking for help with downloaded/ripped games or problems (files missing, no sound...) that are not related to dosbox.

on topic:
black screen with the german cd version on 0.71 for me too.

sysprofile.png

Reply 10 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SysGOD: have a look at the guy's other posts, and you'll maybe understand my sarcasm. What's _really_ funny is the fact that we've identified a possible DOSBox bug, which wouldn't have happened if we didn't try to help the original poster. (;