VOGONS

First post, by rgallitan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For several years now I've been running Wolf3d through VDMSound, and it has proved to be a perfectly usable and stable solution. However, it is missing the more advanced audio effects - namely stereo-panning and distance-cueing - provided by SB Pro and/or Disney Sound Source (I'm not sure which provided what).

At the time I got the game, my understanding was that no emulator (including DOSBox) was capable of reproducing those effects. But time has passed, and so I am curious if users of the more current DOSBox versions are able to play the game with fully realized sound, or if it still suffers the same limitations. I'm especially interested in distance-cueing - in such a crude game, stereo hardly matters, but it is frustrating to hear a door open on the other side of the map and sound like it's right in front of you.

Reply 2 of 4, by rgallitan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not that I was aware of. A Google search reveals WinWolf3d, which is still in beta and hasn't seen any updates in nearly a year. I can't find any details about its capabilities, so I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

EDIT: I found a version history which gives a good amount of information. It seems that it should at least have stereo panning.

Reply 3 of 4, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the game only supports SoundBlaster (out of the soundblaster series) plus many other sound card types...

the original SoundBlaster was only mono... so maybe if you used DOSBox's disney sound emulation you can get stereo sound... but ive never used the disney sound so i have no idea if that is even remotely stereo...

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 4 of 4, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original Wolf3D does provide stereo sound effects. The waveforms themselves are mono; the game uses the mixer to pan left or right. DosBox does emulate this provided you have set "sbtype" to sbpro or sb16.