VOGONS

First post, by xinside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey. I am new here. *wave*

I am also new to Dosbox, I have a few game questions.

1) Is there joystick support for Blackthorne? I try to run the game in Dosbox and the joystick doesn't work. If I can use it, how do I activate it? Every other game it works great. I was thinking Blackthorne doesn't support joysticks but I just want to make sure.

2) The other question is for Out of this World. When I try to run it, it says "a memory manager has been detected that may impare performance. Removing your memory driver will enable maximum performance." It gives me the choice to ignore it and start the game or start it up with low quality/no sound. I choose soundblaster (fast machine) in the setup. When I ignore it, the right on my joystick doesn't work but if I choose lower quality sound it works fine. What do I do to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) Not sure. Try timed=true and timed=false in you dosbox.conf

2) Try disabling ems in your dosbox.conf -> ems=false

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 11, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know whether blackthorne supports joystick or not, but if it doesn't, you can map your joystick to the keyboard keys blackthorne uses, it is explained in the readme.

Reply 3 of 11, by xinside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome fast replies here. 😀

1) the timed options didn't do anything but I will play the game later and map the controls with the mapper. I didn't even know there was a mapper.

2) Disabling that got rid of the message but with high def sound my controler still does not go right. When I use the lower quality sound it lets me go right. (out of this world) hmm weird. I guess I will play on low sound. It isn't exactly higher quality selecting high def.

Thank you for the replies.

Reply 4 of 11, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding the 1st question, originally Blackthorne does NOT support joystick/gamepad support. However there used to be (can't verify now, I'm at work) a patch in http://www.patches-scrolls.de/ (a simple *.EXE file to replace the original) that would allow support for gravis gamepad (4 button joystick/gamepad).

I tested with DOSBox 0.70 to 0.72 and works just fine. Though probably due to years of playing this game with keyboard, I don't like it so much with a gamepad. It's just a force of habit in my case...

As for the 2nd question, I have the game Another World (a.k.a. Out of This World) and I don't have any issues after properly configuring it... Maybe it's something with your version...?

Reply 7 of 11, by xinside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great! Putting the cycles to 10000 fixed the problem. Thank you all for the help. The blackthorne joystick patch also worked! I am using the newest version of DOSbox and I am using windows xp mce.

I can run flashback, out of this world, and blackthorne great with 10k cycles but how come it lags with blood? How can different games use different cycles? I don't understand. I use 6k with blackthorne and it lags a little. set it to 10k and it doesn't at all. but a different game it is vice versa.

Reply 8 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

xinside: It is time for you to explore the wonders of the DOSBox frontends to manage multiple games and different setups.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was playing around with CamStudio today. If I get bored enough mabye I'll make a video tutorial....but just like manuals would anyone bother to watch it?

Which is tougher for a user? Reading a manual on how to use a program or watching a boring video on how to use a program? ehh...I still think electroshock would be the best teaching tool.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehehe, i like the electro-shock idea...

"mount c c:\"
BZZZZT!!!
Aaaaaarghh!

"mount c c:\"
BZZZZT!!!
Aaaaaarghh!

etc.

<User posting on VOGONS>Why do i get shocked each time i mount a directory?

(;

Reply 11 of 11, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Final thoughts on the actual topic/questions of this thread:

#1 - Blackthorne (patch for Gravis Gamepad). Just replace your original file with the new *.EXE, run it and enjoy Blackthorne with your joystick/gamepad. It uses the 4 buttons and there's no need for configuration, as long as the joystick works fine with any other game.

#2 - Another World works flawlessly with joystick/gamepad with core/cycles=auto (the auto sets cycles at 3000 and runs fine that way).

Everything tested on my PC (Athlon +3200, 1GB RAM, Win XP Pro SP2) and official DOSBox 0.72! 😎