VOGONS

First post, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have an iMac G5 (PPC) - OSX Tiger 10.4.11 and am running the latest version of DOSBox.

When I try and run Ultima Underground 1 or 2, I get an error message...

it says that I am "out of EMS memory". The games are apparently fine other than that as they start running, but then abort (I've had several other games in the past give me the same problem as well). Is there any fix for this problem or am I just screwed on those games? (I know it stands for "Expanded Memory" and obviously my iMac has tons more available memory than EMS requires)

Thanx very much. 😀

P.S. I searched thru the FAQs and topics here and couldn't find anything about this. I apologize if there is a topic or FAQ relating to this problem.

Reply 1 of 10, by WonderSlug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running it fine, albeit on a Windows XP machine and DOSBox 0.72

Make sure that your dosbox.conf file has the settings such that enough memory is being dedicated to the session.

I have the following settings:

under [dosbox] section

memsize=32

(32 MB RAM setting for DOSBox session)

under [dos] section

XMS=true
EMS=true
UMB=true

All the Ultimas (1 - 8, and UnderGround) work just fine with those memory settings. Except for Ultima 7 which doesn't like EMS memory managers, so I made a separate ultima7.conf file that has EMS=false for that program.

XMS (Extended Memory), EMS (Expanded Memory), and UMB (upper memory blocks) are all enabled and looks like they are set to maximum available under DOSBox 0.72

Reply 2 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

> XMS=true
> EMS=true
> UMB=true

are the defaults for DOSBox.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 10, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey! It worked!!

A minor point here, but on DOSBox 0.72...there is no "dosbox.conf" file. Maybe it's the same exact thing, but the pertainent file is called "DOSBox Preferences".

And the default is not "ems=true". I never did anything to that section and it was "ems=false" (both xms and umb were true, but ems was false). So I changed that to true and...voila! It works.

You're right about Ultima 7 not running with those settings too. I'm thinking leaving it on false normally is the way to go. That way I know that all my other DOS games will still work, and if when I play Underground, I'll change it to true temporarily...and the EMS error message will remind me when I do need to change it. I'll know what to do if the error message comes up on any other game too.

I did get one disappointment though. Somebody mislabelled Underground 2. When I tried to run it...it turned out to also be Underground 1. 🙁 Oh well, hopefully I'll find the real McCoy somewhere.

Thanx again guys!
~Aloha from Hawaii. 😉

Reply 5 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Mr. Eeee wrote:

And the default is not "ems=true". I never did anything to that section and it was "ems=false" (both xms and umb were true, but ems was false). So I changed that to true and...voila! It works.

Hmm - sounds like the guy that compiled/packaged DOSBox for your Mac, accidentially put a modified Preferences file in the package. That should be fixed I think.

Mr. Eeee wrote:

You're right about Ultima 7 not running with those settings too. I'm thinking leaving it on false normally is the way to go. That way I know that all my other DOS games will still work, and if when I play Underground, I'll change it to true temporarily...and the EMS error message will remind me when I do need to change it. I'll know what to do if the error message comes up on any other game too.

You can (but I don't know how) launch DOSBox with different preferences, e.g. modified for a specific game.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 10, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah...I would sure like to find out how to set it up modified for a specific game. That would be much better. I'lllook around the FAQs and manuals for that (I know it doesn't say anything about it in the OSX guide. I read the whole thing...it's not very long).

As far as having gotten an accidentally modified plist...it's certainly possible, but I think not. Mac's do work differently from PCs and I have a feeling that it is that way on purpose...'cos--like I said--every other game I have works just fine with it as ems=false...and I've got a bit over 100 DOS games.

BTW...I checked Abandonia first thing and they have Underworld 2 (the correct game). So I got it, and it works fine (with the ems set to true that is).

Thanx again. You guys really know your stuff here. This is the second problem I've gotten good, promt, help with. 😀

Reply 7 of 10, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I checked the whole thing:

The original setting for ems is true, but the file "DOSBox Preferences" in the 0.72 package comes with "ems=false".

That makes the difficulty.

Klimawandel.