VOGONS

First post, by rickl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My old 386 finally died so had to find another means to play my old dos games - thanks for DOSBox. All of my games work except for M1 tank platoon and F15 strike eagle 2. When I type the command line in, the window closes pretty quickly. I have found that in the console window an error message shows up - exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7.

I was hoping that someone else had had the problem with these games, but didn't see a message about it.

The games worked on my 386 and I have tried changing every setting in the DOSBox config file, but with no success.

Any ideas from anyone?

Reply 2 of 18, by rickl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would think that if it were an issue with the programs themselves that they would not have worked on my old computer either. I've tried all the versions of DOSBox plus running them on other computers with the same results. That led me to wonder if the programs were the issue, but with them working in the past that did not make sense either. I will have to see if I can get another copy of them from somewhere.

Reply 4 of 18, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One think I forgot to mention, I ran both games without using a frontend, if you are using one there may be mounting issues, as they always mount games as c:\

Some games don't like that and refuse to run.

Or maybe you used different options than I did. These games ask your video card and sound card details at startup, I used VGA / MCGA and Adlib / Soundblaster in both cases.

Reply 5 of 18, by rickl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I made sure not to use the .bat file that is created when you run the install from the disk since it does always want to look to c:. The program never got to the screens where it has you pick your monitor, etc. I tried using the shortcuts for selecting the monitor, sound, etc but that did not help either.

As for wd's comments - installed it by running the 3install.bat file but also just tried copying the files to my hard drive since that is how I have installed it in the past. I've tried running on both a Windows ME (which I think is a pentium 2 processor) computer and Windows XP (which is pentium 3 or better) computer with the same results. I've tried every version of DOSBox out there thinking maybe there was a conflict with some of the newer DOSBox code, but that was not it either.

When trying to run the programs through windows without DOSBox, I get an error about the program trying to execute an invalid instruction with a fault location of 0000:003F. I've done some searching but don't know a good way to try to find that location and what the conflict is. Both programs give all the same faults and errors so I'd think if it were an installation/program problem only one would have the issue. If it were compatibility, I'd think one of the two windows computers I've tried would run them. Obviously they run for other people and I had them running within the last month on my old 386.

Reply 6 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
rickl wrote:

As for wd's comments - installed it by running the 3install.bat file <snip>

Ahh - and this 3install.bat file magically appeared inside DOSBox?? WOW - what a great PC you have there.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I too installed DOSBox by using the installer from sourceforge, but I am pretty sure there was no 3install.bat inside my DOSBox when I was done. As I said, you must have a magic PC.

Reply 10 of 18, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is getting silly. 😒
What's up with this (annoying) trend of unnecessary prolongation of threads instead of going for solution? 😒

Anyway, rickl, what you should write is what OS and DOSBox version you are using, and commands you are using when mounting and installing these games, and also when running them, if you want useful replies. 😜

Reply 11 of 18, by rickl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about the thread. I'm done after this since I received some additional help outside the forum that got me around the problems.

This was a first time for me. After the first questions from WD, I thought I was on the right track for providing information.

Reply 12 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Oh nice Miki Maus, you finally got him to POST HIS MOUNTINGS!!!
You're awesome, we were trying hard to figure out his mountings in
this now-quite-long thread as you correctly noticed (with your not-so-nice
side comment which i'll just ignore instead of replying something nasty to
it so you know it's your good day today and mine too) but WE obviously
failed up to now.

Hm interesting enough i guess i'm wrong, we actually still don't know
his mountings. Seems you failed as well Miki Maus, and the thread got
+2 postings and is now REALLY long. Now it sucks. Really. Getting silly.

Reply 15 of 18, by rickl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my case, the common theme between the two games were that they both required you to insert the original disk as a form of copy protection. I was able to find a version that had that feature removed and they both work fine now.

Reply 16 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Ahhh - now the plot thickens. The resistance to reveal the mounting commands stems from the fact that it would have shown that no CD or diskette was mounted, that the game where not installed from original media, and that we were dealing with a problem caused by an illegal copy of the game. And the poster probably knew that I would rarely bother to waste my time trying to solve problems caused by bad ripping and copying.

Reply 17 of 18, by rickl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually I bought both games and have the original disks, which is what I installed them from. M1 was supposed to have required the disks but the game has never asked for them in the 10+ years I have been playing it. I found an edit for F15 that removed the need to put the disk in.

Don't accuse of pirating software unless you can back it up. I've spent a lot of $ on game software.

Reply 18 of 18, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have problem with installing scenario pack called "Operation desert storm" When I run file install.exe, I have a message "insert F15 disk A". I want to know, how's called original disks of F-15 II...can anybody help me?