VOGONS

First post, by kuyaedz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got an ancient copy of some BBS software that is actually running in DOSBOX but during the latter part of the startup it complains about needing a packet driver.

Normally I've run this application under XP and installed the packet driver SWSVPKT, which does the trick. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on doing this natively in DOSBOX.

I did see a few references to alternate BBS software running in DOSBOX, but without direct references to packet drivers I was unsure if those guides would be applicable.

Thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 2, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The packet driver it's referring to is the hardware driver for your network device. I assume it's asking for it because it provides some kind of TCP connectivity such as telnet access or BBS linking. Normally, these would be obtained from the hardware manufacturer, however, DOSBox provides an emulated environment with no direct hardware access to your system, and because DOSBox does not support TCP or UDP for emulated software, getting a packet driver would be mostly useless. SWSVPKT provides an interface to the TCP/UDP layer in Windows, I assume. If there is some kind of dummy driver or something to meet that requirement of your program, I don't know of it.

Sorry to be such a downer.

Now, if this package you have gives you the option to disable the network functionality, then it would make sense that it would no longer ask for a packet driver.

Reply 2 of 2, by char27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the reply to such an old post - I am new here and this is a subject I was interested in...

Did you get your bbs running? It runs fine in DOSBox (with a couple config changes).
You can route serial thru TCP. That would give you 4 connections but each with their own port. I have found, however, that with modem or serial support turned on, DOSBox leaks memory like crazy. In just a few hours (or less), it might be using over a GB of ram. Not sure if its how the BBS uses the ports it or not. If anyone has any info on this, I would appreciate it.

I am considering writing a small proxy to allow for a single port to be able to access the 4 ports that represent the serial ports. That way I have network access into my BBS (DOSBox) but no network access out. More secure that way. btw - Don't forget to run your BBS(DOSBox) as a highly restricted user so if it is hacked, they cannot start browsing your HD and exposing files via the BBS file server.