VOGONS

First post, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need help getting PageMaker 4 to run. I have successfuly installed Windows3.11 thanks to this site but have not been able to get PM4 in the proper path for it to be run in Windows3.11. I have tried many autoexec.bat file paths and file locations but PM4.exe can not be found by Windows. The DLL files can not be found either. This is all inside the Dosbox on the c: drive (actually c:\doswin).
I have at least two autoexec.bats. One in Z: and the other in the mounted C: drive in c:\doswin file folder. My computer's OS is WindowsXP on a Compaq Presario SR1210NX with 1.2 gigs ram, 330 Intel Celeron D Processor 2.66 GHz. I have a 3.5 floppy disk drive installed with which I installed the two programs to the hard drive C:. Can anyone advise me on how to get Windows3.11 to find the PM4.exe and about four DLL's?

Reply 2 of 43, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a mounting issue to me.

Do one thing, extract all the files from the Pagemaker disks to a folder.

Then, mount the following units / folders:

1) The one containing your Windows 3.11 installation as C: BUT, mount the inmediately superior folder.

For example, if Windows 3.11 is on Retro\Windows, mount Retro as C:

You need to do this so you can install the application in C:\ALDUS or whatever.

2) The folder where you placed the Pagemakes install files as A: and "floppy".

Run this setup, and from within Windows 3.11, run A:\INSTALL or A:\SETUP.

Reply 3 of 43, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies. I will remout and get back to you. The error messages are:
Cannot find ALDFS.DLL, ALDVM.DLL, ALDIM, ALDWPLS.DLL, Cannot find file
C:\pm4\pm4.exe [or one of its components] Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all reqired libraries are available.

Reply 5 of 43, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've installed PageMaker4 both from floppy dirve A: and I tried copying them to my hard drive in a PageMaker4 folder. It asks you if you would like PageMaker to alter your autoexec.bat file which I declined as I can remember, and tried to do this myself using the note pad in Windows3.11.

Reply 6 of 43, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It asks you if you would like PageMaker to alter your autoexec.bat file which I declined as I can remember, and tried to do this myself using the note pad in Windows3.11.

ah, then I think PM4 needs its path in the PATH environment.
Add this to the autoexec section of Dosbox.conf:

SET PATH=z:\;C:\pm4;c:\Windows

(that assumes that your Windows is installed on your mount in \Windows)
There is a way to just append to the path (which is actually better) but I can't remember just now, others will gladly step in 😀

As Dosbox doesn't use the autoexec.bat it is a great way to just let programs alter it and then look what they did to it and add the parts to the autoexec section of Dosbox (or let the autoexec section call the autoexec.bat).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Mounted it how?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 43, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

just enter a:\install in the executate box.
the a:\ doesn't show up in the filemanager and I don't have clue why.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 43, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well what do you know, great,it works now! 🤣 I put all folders on Dosbox autoexec.bat path: Set Path=z:\;c:\Pm4;c:\aldus;c:\windows.
PageMaker 4 needs Windows to install but in DosBox, Windows3.11 won't accept A:'s existence even after the"z: mount a a:\ "command which in Dosbox C:\ does mount and reads in the DOS, but not when you run Windows3.11. So, as Neville suggested, I manually copied all floppys to a Aldus folder using the Windows XP "My computer". I installed PM4 from this folder in Windows3.11. The Table Editor always ran thought! \
Thanks to all for your help! 😁

Reply 12 of 43, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am now having no connection to the printer and cant print. My printer is a Konica Minolta Page aPro 1350W ( led laser ). My old Okidata 400 (an led laser printer ) worked using my old 100MHz, Windows 3.11 computer, but now I am running Windows 3.11 in Dosbox and can't get the printer set up with any of the listed printers, not even the generic/ text only. What happened to my printer connection? My question really is- does running in Dosbox make any special conditions for connecting with LPT1?

Reply 17 of 43, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No printing has never been relavant in playing any game I've ever played. Most of my old games were on 5.25 floppies so I haven't seen them in quite awhile.

Reply 18 of 43, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
antique wrote:

No printing has never been relavant in playing any game I've ever played. Most of my old games were on 5.25 floppies so I haven't seen them in quite awhile.

So there's your answer. Since DOSbox is for playing games, nothing else, printers are not supported.

JAL

Reply 19 of 43, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tryed to copy files to a "printer" folder in DosBox and typed in the config -write file but still no printer, which in PageMaker4 I have it set on generic/text only. Why is it not working?