VOGONS

Reply 20 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The config -write file is used to save a copy of DOSBox's internal configuration file. It has nothing to do with printing files.

If you can get PageMaker to "print" to a text-file, you can open the text-file in Notepad (from Windows) and then print the file from there.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/FAQ

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 21 of 43, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, the best thing to do for PageMaker (or any other Windows program) is to set things up to a file using the PostScript driver. That will let yopu make nice PDF files out of the output files.

Reply 22 of 43, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What about switching to a virtual machine type program? Can I copy Dosbox's Dos5 files into this envirenment and install Windows3.11 and PageMaker4 and get them to print do you think?

Reply 23 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can download VPC 2007/Qemu/Vmware Server, install MS-DOS in them, Install Windows 3.1 and then your pagemaker program. As for LPT support I don't know.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 26 of 43, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded Freedos-1.0-x86.7z which is quite large at 80 Megs but what do I do with this? Windows (its on xp desktop) donsn't know how to unzip or open it and neither do I.

Reply 28 of 43, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I downloaded 7zip, and unzipped what I downloaded - freeDOS 1.0.
All I got was a folder: Machines/freeDOS/freeDOS.xml, 3KB, and another file called FreeDOS.ndi !!! Where's the DOS?

Reply 31 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you downloaded a VirtualBox image.

If you have VirtualBox then you can use that image with it.

Reply 34 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VirtualBox is an emulator. It uses .VDI files as a virtual hard drive.

It appears that you downloaded a copy of FreeDOS that was pre-installed to the .VDI virtual hard drive.

If you download and install VirtualBox and tell it to use the .VDI file that you downloaded then you will have a fully working installed copy of FreeDOS.

Reply 37 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't recall and I don't have VirtualBox installed. It uses a GUI so it shouldn't be very difficult.

Reply 39 of 43, by antique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FeeDos won't run Windows3.11 so I am still trying (in my spare time) to get DosBox to support LPT1 printer port. I am trying Porttalk which installed a driver into the windows driver area, but Page Maker 4 still can't locate an open connection to LPT1.