VOGONS

STTNG "a final unity" installation problem!!!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by PENFOLD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i am a complete newbie at all this so apologies if i am being thick! i am trying to install this game through dos box 0.72 i have traled through all the posts i could find on this topic to no avail so please please help!!

when i load dos box i do the following:

z: mount c c:\users\study\games (this is my hard drive path)

next i need to mount my CD rom drive which is an 18 speed DVD RW drive and letter "e:\", i have tried just about every variation of mounting this drive which appears to work with:
z: mount d e:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0

this appears to work as i can run the game from my Rom drive and i get as far as the installation but then it checks my system and cant discover my Rom drive!!!

Any help greatly appreciated i am a complete newbie so if someone could type the complete commands i would appreciate it!!

Reply 1 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmmm. You seem to have done everything by the book. I am a little curious about the -usecd 0 option.

What is the output of mount -cd ? Is your E: drive really no. 0 ?

I assume you also read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why would you save a screenshot as an RTF? If you are on Windows and you don't have any image editing software, just use MS Paint and save it as a PNG.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like you didn't mount the CDROM. If you installed the game from the CD and then run it with the CDROM mounted at the same drive letter, it should definitely run.

Also make sure you do not move the game to a new folder after you install it. The "ini" file has a path setting for the folder the game is installed to. Or, if you do move it, make sure you edit the "ini" and change the Path= setting to whereever you moved it to. You really should just use the game's default install folder (C:\STTNG).

here's my STTNG.ini

Audio=SB16
Port=0x220
IRQ=0x7
DMA=0x5
Video=HI16
DPixel=ON
Path=C:\STTNG\
CD=D:\
Sound=ON
Music=ON
Voices=ON
Movies=ON
Advice=0
Dialogs=OFF
VolSound=0x7FFF
VolMusic=0x7FFF
UniVESA=ON

"STFU" = 🤣

Reply 10 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
swaaye wrote:

It looks like you didn't mount the CDROM. If you installed the game from the CD and then run it with the CDROM mounted at the same drive letter, it should definitely run.

Also make sure you do not move the game to a new folder after you install it.

No, no - it can't be that simple. Remember, he wrote:

> yes i read your 60 sec guide thats how i got this far.

And in that guide I explicitly tell people not to change their mounts unless they be prepared to re-install the game (or really know what they are doing).

Reply 11 of 21, by PENFOLD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

NO, I think you have got the wrong end of the stick, the game is NOT installed (hence the title installation problem!) My problem is that when i mount the CD rom which mounts fine to the best of my knowledge i try to install the game for example:

mount c c:\users\study\games

mount d e:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

C:> d:
D:>cd stfu
d:/stfu>cd stfuinst
d:/stfu/stfuinst>install

the game now starts its installation and gets as far as hardware detection before it shows a yellow line over CDROM saying it detects none (yet it is running from it!)

I have tried patches and turning down the cpu cycles all with the same result any one know how this is repaired?

Thanks

Reply 12 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

shouldn't the installer be in the root of the CD-Rom? If it isn't, is it a legit copy? If it isn't a legit copy are you sure that is a Dosbox problem and not a stupid WAREZ copy problem?

Edit: After reading the replies - sorry, didin't know about the installer issue.

Last edited by Dominus on 2008-02-20, 11:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

he's using the patched installer for nextgen systems. That's the only one that works with DOSBOX.

just put that installer in your root of C drive. Then run it as it instructs in the readme. Penfold, I hope you read my thread about installing this game.

Reply 19 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

So the installation guide that swaaye has posted here doesn't work for you?