VOGONS

First post, by mamak101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to follow the guideline as much as possible but my apologies for not being able to fill in some fields.

Motherboard : Not sure.
Processor Type and speed : Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.2GHz
Amount and Type of RAM : 2gigs of DDR2 RAM
Video Board : Video Card? Geforce 7200 I think, 512mb of memory but not too sure.
Operating System : Windows XP
Game Name : Heroes of Might and Magic II
Description of the problem : Basically I downloaded a file zipped it and it came with a 'crack.com' file, I assume it's supposed to let me play the game without the annoying 'No CD available' message, but no matter how I try, I can't seem to load the game without getting the 'No CD available message' even though I've loaded the crack and I get a message saying that the crack has been successfully loaded.
Reproductibility of the problem : Always I guess
Sound mode used : No idea
Video Mode : No idea as well, sorry
Version of emulator : DOSBOX 0.72

That's all, I'm thankful for any help I get.

Reply 1 of 2, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, but you won't get support here for Abandonware/cracked versions of games. Get the original, or ask for support where you've downloaded the game.

Reply 2 of 2, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I think that if the OP has the original but prefers to run the cracked version (like me (not enough HD space for the image...)) then it's OK, but if I'm wrong please delete my message.

Anyway, the thing with the HOMM2 crack is, that it checks if MSCDEX is installed. Any mount of a directory as a CD-ROM drive in DOSBox will do, E.G.
mount d c:\ -t cdrom

Also, I recommend copying the movies (Rad's Smacker format, IIRC) from the CD to the game's dir, they don't take up much space and without the file Choose.smk it's hard to choose between the two available campaigns.