VOGONS

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed that I can only select resolutions up to 1024x768 on any game even it supports higher resolutions. Is there a workaround for this?

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well when 5ghz processors are the norm then you'll be able to.....or if CPU architecure changes sufficiently enough to provide more performance at lower clock speeds. So probably 1yr and a half to 2yrs.

Glide games run in unofficial builds of DosBox should be able to run fine at higher resolutions.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Glide games run in unofficial builds of DosBox should be able to run fine at higher resolutions.

Nope, GLIDE resolution in these builds is currently fixed to 640x480.

Reply 5 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well when 5ghz processors are the norm then you'll be able to.....or if CPU architecure changes sufficiently enough to provide more performance at lower clock speeds. So probably 1yr and a half to 2yrs.

Blood ran flawlessly here at 1024x768 with my Core2Quad Q6600. So I guess an increase in resolution would still make it playable and look much better.

How can I get this working? I have the direct3d patched 0.72 version and it came with openglide. I have also tried replacing it with dgvoodoo but none worked. 🙁

Reply 6 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, GLIDE resolution in these builds is currently fixed to 640x480.

Ask gulizoka (the/one of the authors of the GLIDE PATCH) if you don't want to believe me.

Reply 7 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is not fixed to 640x480 😉. The resolution is set to whatever the game sets it to (true, most DOS 3dfx did not support anything but 640x480 since voodoo1 supported max 800x600 without z-buffer and you needed v2 SLI for 1024x768). GTA for example will happily run in 800x600 in 3dfx mode 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 8 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oops... (; There was another thread some days ago (about TR), where i got the impression that the GLIDE patch uses a fixed resolution. The 640x480's only true for TR then, right?

Reply 9 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the game only supports 640x480, then only 640x480 is available. But it's not GLIDE patch fault 😉 However, a wrapper might choose to render data at a higher resolution (it's just a matter of some math to reposition the vertices and filter the textures). One such wrapper might be available one day 😜

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 10 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DGVoodoo allows resolution override for games that use a fixed resolution. Need For Speed 2 SE and Carmageddon (via VDMSound) looks awesome at 1440x900 or 1280x1024. However I could not find an appropriate version of DOSBox that supports proper glide emulation.