VOGONS

Static in BLUE ICE

Topic actions

First post, by Dick Winslow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

there's this not so faint fuzzy sound all over the place. i mean the sound otherwise is fine, i'd just like to get rid of the static. one thing is, I have to set the sound up from the folder I installed the game in as opposed to the drive the CD is in. that's because i'm prompted with a "could not save configuration" error when I try to save the settings. any tips?

EDIT: It's worth noting that I'm using onboard sound, and I've had this problem with a few other games including Morpheus and Harvester. I may swing by the store tomorrow morning and buy a new card. What do you guys think?

Reply 1 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

for the can not save configuration file:
mount a C and a D drive

for the static. Try changing all samplerates in dosbox.conf to 44100 or 48000

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 20, by Dick Winslow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mount a C and a D drive

Already taken care of my liege:

mount d e:\ -t cdrom
mount c c:\games\blueice

just redid it just to be sure, still refusing to budge. It will only save if I set it up from inside the folder I installed it to. what's the difference, JOOC?

for the static. Try changing all samplerates in dosbox.conf to 44100 or 48000

whoooooaaa! no way that's working, speeds it up like crazy and distorts the sound further. fiddlesticks!

Reply 4 of 20, by Dick Winslow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

by that do you mean don't mount the c drive? cause if I don't, it doesn't matter where I pick to install it, c:\games\blueice or c:\blueice, it'll say "Can't install to directory C:\blahblah"

Come to think of it, this bugged me about Harvester too and the sound setup from the CD sounds so crisp and clear (when you test it), but the sound got all mangled with the same settings if I installed it from the C drive and that was my only option (since it wouldn't save otherwise). so i always had the music looping prematurely and whatnot, and weird sudden YERP sounds is the only way I know how to describe it. It is the same exact problem with this game is why I'm bringing up Harvester.

How shall we proceed, gentlemen?

Reply 5 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

and when you have done that make sure the sound of the game is set up correctly (e.g. when selecting sound blaster the irq needs to be set to 7 not 5).
I think there were reports of incorrect sounds and after all what was wrong was the sound setup

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 20, by Dick Winslow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MightyMax, I actually did skim over it earlier today and I'm not sure where it all went wrong. I tried following it step-by-step, but if I mount C "C:\Documents and Settings, it'll say "c:\documents doesn't exist"

My only way around it is to select just one word destinations, or two words conjoined (ie c c:\blueice).

I use Soundblaster Pro, IO220, IRQ7, DMA1.

wd, I always mount it to an empty directory (c c:\blueice) and still it rejects me.

Reply 9 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

mount C "C:\Documents and Settings

Is this a typo or are you missing the second " ???

I always mount it to an empty directory (c c:\blueice) and still it rejects me

Did you install the game into that directory? If so why is it empty then?

Reply 10 of 20, by Dick Winslow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay, so I guess I'd mistakenly left off the quatation mark at the end. picky picky. so at least now I can mount directories that are more than one word.

I always mount it to an empty directory (c c:\blueice) and still it rejects me

Did you install the game into that directory? If so why is it empty then?

But why wouldn't it be empty? If I delete all the folder's contents and then do a clean reinstall? I've overlooked something glaringly obvious, haven't I?

Reply 11 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yes, you overlooked this part: "and don't just read it - follow it too". And so far that omission has wasted 12 hours of your time, and a few minutes of mine, wd's, Dominis and Qbix time. And earned you no friends. How is that for a days work?

Reply 12 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

picky picky

If you format your c drive instead of your a drive it's also just one character.

I've overlooked something glaringly obvious, haven't I?

before installation: empty, after installation: not empty

Reply 13 of 20, by Dick Winslow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off, don't think I don't appreciate the replies. Just know that I'm not as intimately familiar with dos as some of you may be. Hence the self-deprecating remarks and such. Any bitter sarcasm usually is a knock at me, not you.

I wasn't-- it's not my aim to offend, I did exactly as your guide said. Nothing in it really indicates even slightly a misstep on my part. The game does run after all, and everything is fine except for that darned static. So I know I screwed up along the way somewhere. Again, I'm using onboard sound. could that be a problem? Even in Morpheus I had slight static, and that game doesn't run in dos.

outside of dosbox and Morpheus, none of my games have static ever.

Have a look at the files with the dir command, and see if you can spot an install or and a setup program or whatever the command to start the installation is called. Check your Manual/Installation Guide for MyGame for the exact command to use.

D:\>dir /w

D:\>install

For this part I just type in install.bat and that seems to suffice. Is that OK or no?

wd,

before installation: empty, after installation: not empty

Generally I delete the folder and recreate it. Whatever folder I install it to, be it c:\blueice or c:\gobbledygook, it's empty when I reinstall. I make sure of that.

Don't give up on me, pa.

MY INSTALL PROCESS:

mount E "E:\" -t cdrom
mount C "C:\BLUEICE"
D:
install.bat
"Game installed in C:\BLUEICE\
Change to this directory and type blueice to run the game"
C:
blueice
(do my sound config as listed above, click Done and then it starts)

And that's it.

Reply 14 of 20, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I wasn't aware that you reinstall the game every time.

If even non-dosbox related stuff has some static, you should really check
your hardware and sound drivers. Then in dosbox.conf check the [mixer]
section and try different sampling rates (48000, 44100, 11025 and stuff).

Reply 16 of 20, by Dick Winslow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

to wd: yeah man i've relied on onboard sound for a good 5 or 6 years now(or however old this hunk of junk is). the time for change is NOW... maybe. i'll monkey around with the sampling rates smore. my top priority for now should probably be sticking in a new soundcard, yeah?

hal: that is correct, sire.

EDIT: EEK! I just realized I probably should've posted this in the Games/Apps section. fudge, i'm so out of it, man. Could we move it mebbe?

Reply 17 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Moved.

My/our reason for wanting a clean install, is due to your first error report:

that's because i'm prompted with a "could not save configuration" error when I try to save the settings. any tips?

Now that that is out of the way, because we *trust* that you have a good, clean install, we can concentrate on the second problem

2)

faint fuzzy sound all over the place

This is ... how we work. One problem at a time, always trying to work from a known situation with as few unknowns as possible. And you reporting 2 problems in one post introduce yet another unknown: Which problem are we trying to solve?

Which leads us to the next question: Have you done any modifications to DOSBox configuration file?

And leads us the third question: From my guide:

how you configured sound, music etc.

How did you configure sound? Which device? Sound Blaster. SB1, SB2 SB Pro, SB-16? Gravis UltraSound? MIDI?

Reply 18 of 20, by Dick Winslow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TAKE ME AS I AM: well i do have my share of flaws, i've never been a very organized person, so thanks for bearing with me.

SOUND CONFIG: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Pro or 100% compatible. I've also tested Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32.

FYI: When I've finished the installation, I try out setsound from the D drive (according to DOSBOX, but it's really my E drive) and at the end of it, it says it can't save it. at this point I've already mounted C C:\blueice.This problem mysteriously disappears if I try out setsound from the C drive. It'll go smoothly if I do it from here(text bolded for dramatic effect) How come? Does it even matter?

DOSBOX CONFIG: I launched the game with the default dosbox settings. The only thing I've dared to tamper with is the sample rates, which hasn't done diddly anyway. of course i've restored it to its original settings by now.

don't sugarcoat it doc, how much of this has to do with my lack of a soundcard? remember now, Morpheus had some static as well but I was able to get rid of it by... I think either it was the sound acceleration or some quicktime feature I switched off.