VOGONS

First post, by jmefisto666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently installed SLH and tried to run it the normal way. The music wouldn't play, and the digital sound and voice would sometimes freeze and cause the rest of the game to freeze. I tried it through dosbox and the digital sound and voice work fine, but I still have no music and no graphics. I've tried turning the 'read only' option off of all files in SLH, and it did nothing. I've messed around with the different options in dosbox, and either nothing changed, or things got worse. Can anybody who has run this game successfully (either through dosbox or normally) tell me what settings you used to get it to work?

I use windows XP and I have an NVIDIA GeForce 8 series card (8600), and a Realtek Audio sound card.

I would prefer that only those who got this game working COMPLETELY (sound, voice, music, and graphics) with the XP operating system answer. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Reply 1 of 4, by valency

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have played it in dosbox 7.2 with no problems. First step: make sure SLH's configuration is correct for Dosbox's emulated hardware. Run "install.exe" from the SHOBOKEN directory, and select Soundblaster or compatible for your music, and Soundblaster or compatible with IRQ 5 IO address 220h (the defaults) for your sound card.

Reply 3 of 4, by valency

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have all my games configured to use IRQ 5 (which is compatible with my old dos hardware which I previously used to play old games) but on reading the docs, you're right. I wonder if DOSBOX listens on both interrupts no matter what you select in the .cfg file, since I've never had a problem with sound on IRQ 5. Virtually every post-1989 soundblaster used IRQ 5 in any case.

Reply 4 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's not dosbox that listens to some irq, but dosbox that executes it.
If there's no handler associated (by the game/extender) a default handler
will be run, so the game might or might not work with wrong settings.

The default is set to 7, so unless really necessary it should be left at that
and the games be configured accordingly.