VOGONS

Screen Size decreased?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Kloppstock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After installing v 0.72 the screen size is now less stretched out in the corner than before installing, its still fullscreen thou, and changing resolution in dosbox.conf doesnt change it

going back to ancient versions of dosbox is allso perm affected by it after ones installing 0.72 what is this? can i change back?

and another question to avoid a new thread, cause its pretty silly

What shall i write to start Lechucks Revenge "CD Monkey2" ?
"Monkey2" is what the exe file are named..but it doenst work
i cant find any monkey result when im performing Dir on my game folder either, even thou it is really there, i guess there are moore variants of Dir commands?

Reply 2 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

About the stretching: Old and new versions of DOSBox should be 100% independent. Have you tried rebooting before starting one of the older versions?

About Monkey2: Maybe you have to start it with a BAT file, and not an EXE? Or a COM?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 13, by Kloppstock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Knobs on your monitor

Im not sure i understood what you meaned

MiniMax wrote:

About the stretching: Old and new versions of DOSBox should be 100% independent. Have you tried rebooting before starting one of the older versions??

Perhaps i didnt, old size seems to work again now, thank you

wd wrote:

You should read first. The dosbox README and the guide threads on this forum.

Im wery bad to understand what i am reading when it comes to instructions from developers, what i will write down below is probably not in any manual on earth 🤑 😵

MiniMax wrote:

About Monkey2: Maybe you have to start it with a BAT file, and not an EXE? Or a COM?

I think L-Revenge is exe, Broken Sword is BAT however, these games i shall all use, but thei all must start the same whay still..i suppose? i dont know your menthod

but i think i know the solution anyway, according to dir i shall have a special key-sign between the games names and their numeral, cause these are follow-up games as you may know, cd Monkey¨1 vs cd Monkey¨2

the probems is just that i dont know how to write that sign on keyboard, the above examples are wrong, the correct sign-button is located just left of "enter" on my microsoft multimedia keyboard, but you need to hold another button to get right sign, shared offcorse, i found it one time but couldnt re-locate it

i say the button looks like this
namnls1pv1.th.jpg
Rosie O Donnell's arse from odd angle

Kloppstock wrote:

i found it one time but couldnt re-locate it

Reply 4 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If you have weird characters like ~ (called tilde) in the file names, then something is wrong with the way you installed the game.

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reply 5 of 13, by Kloppstock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

If you have weird characters like ~ (called tilde) in the file names, then something is wrong with the way you installed the game.

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

I have read your guide now, but i dont know in what angle i shall start taking action..before this below

I have not installed any game, its just directorys/folder containing game files, that is cause i have succesfully loaded them intp Scummvm untill now, im changing soft cause i wanna capture video, and i guess i have taken for granted that i can use same folder in dosbox allso, is that impossible?

here is my mount, who works at games with no tildes

mount c f:\spel
c:

i have not touched any sound settings

Reply 7 of 13, by Kloppstock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

I have read your guide now

Read it again. Then read it again AND perform the steps accordingly.

I think i whait for MiniMax replie first
DOSBox Guides
cause the guides have not told if "scummfiles" will work on Dosbox, and what's generating tildes on certain files, atleast im not structured and language skilled enough to find it, but if you know and see the solution there, i asking you for mercy (you will tell what it is 😅 (Jedi-handmove)

Reply 8 of 13, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dear lord, don't they teach english in Sweden? Your posts are very, very hard to understand.

No, you can't use ScummVM data files in DOSBox. That's why they are called "data files" - they represent only the game data, without any executables. DOSBox needs the executables to run the game. You'll have to install the game in DOSBox. For some games, it might be possible to use the installed directory as the source directory for ScummVM.

I don't think anyone here will take you by the hand and walk you through a game installation. That's what the tutorials are for. I'm pretty sure you could find some swedish tutorials via Google, if you're having problems with the english ones.

Btw, DOS (and ultimately DOSBox) supports only 8.3 filenames. That's why you're seeing the "~" character in directory names - these directory names are longer than 8.3 characters. The tilde character is very easy to find on most keyboards. I think anyone using a computer should be able to at least find and hit the right keys where needed.

Reply 9 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Well, I said to follow the guide. Until you show me that you have followed it, I have no intention of replying.

Reply 10 of 13, by Kloppstock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Originaly i hade a pretty long reply ready, but then the page expired and stopped existing all of a sudden, so i lost Platos lost dialoge, it contained a little impudent prejudice-dripping answer 🤣 to MiniMax and a English teaching-plane for Swedish Schools, some detailed Keyboard drawings and last a thanks to you for the reply i needed

ADDiCT wrote:
Dear lord, don't they teach english in Sweden? Your posts are very, very hard to understand. […]
Show full quote

Dear lord, don't they teach english in Sweden? Your posts are very, very hard to understand.

No, you can't use ScummVM data files in DOSBox. That's why they are called "data files" - they represent only the game data, without any executables. DOSBox needs the executables to run the game. You'll have to install the game in DOSBox. For some games, it might be possible to use the installed directory as the source directory for ScummVM.

I don't think anyone here will take you by the hand and walk you through a game installation. That's what the tutorials are for. I'm pretty sure you could find some swedish tutorials via Google, if you're having problems with the english ones.

Btw, DOS (and ultimately DOSBox) supports only 8.3 filenames. That's why you're seeing the "~" character in directory names - these directory names are longer than 8.3 characters. The tilde character is very easy to find on most keyboards. I think anyone using a computer should be able to at least find and hit the right keys where needed.

i simply cant use these folders, thei contains no setup files and such

Last edited by Kloppstock on 2008-07-10, 12:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And you don't have the original CD with the game files on?

Reply 12 of 13, by Kloppstock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

And you don't have the original CD with the game files on?

CD is a bit to modern for this games

On Aladdin and Lionking i have my own diskettes thou! on Monkey Island and Broken Sword however i have some pirate folders, so im breaking that
"Ancient Remain Law" mentioned in the famous movie "Den Ofrivillige Golfaren" (The Involuntary Golfer) on thoose 2 games

(I guess im not worthy after this unmasking to be wasted time on anymoore..according to this forum's regulations? 😵)