VOGONS

First post, by schmidtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I installed dosbox today and i wanted to install magic carpet, an old favorite of mine. the game works fine, sound works, music works, all controls work.

anyways my problem is, for those of you who know the game, when you press enter you get to see a fullscreen map and all your spells. the game has this fade effect when it goes between menus. once the fade passes, the game quits.

i figured i might have set up the sound wrong but i changed the settings and it still quits. i also turn the sound and music off, still quits. i have to set the game to 50% framerate because everything moves so fast, if that makes a difference

Ubuntu Linux user

Reply 3 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No problem here either - except that the people seems to run around awful fast, like little ants where their hill is on fire. And it is not because I have it on Super Fast. Guess this game needs a fixed cycle?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 29, by schmidtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

like i said, just set the framerate to 50% and the game runs at a normal pace.

also, i think i remember the game working perfectly fine before. i installed it on different hardware, but since my computer really sucked back then, it didn't play well. i have no idea what i did differently this time, but i can tell you that dosbox did not update since

Ubuntu Linux user

Reply 6 of 29, by schmidtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well any suggestions then? as it says in my sig, i'm running linux. i always ran magic carpet on linux. also, i have the original CD, if that also makes a difference. i know last fome for me it didn't.

anyways again, any idea what i can do about this? dosbox runs fine when the game quits, it just goes back to D:\

Ubuntu Linux user

Reply 8 of 29, by schmidtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

when the game worked fine but really slow i had:
intel p4 2.2ghz
768mb of ram
ati radeon 9200 128mb
ubuntu 8.04
dosbox 0.72

the computer i'm using now when the game crashes is:
amd athlon 64 2.4ghz overclocked to 2.7ghz
512mb of ram
geforce 6100 (integrated video) 64mb
ubuntu 8.04
dosbox 0.72

mount c ~/.db
(.db is a hidden folder on my account, it worked perfectly fine before so i'm positive it isn't the problem)

mount d /media/cdrom1

Ubuntu Linux user

Reply 12 of 29, by schmidtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no i'm running 32 bit linux. i'm not sure what the dosbox binary is, dosbox is included in the ubuntu repositories, meaning, i can choose it from a list of programs and it installs for me

Ubuntu Linux user

Reply 14 of 29, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Magic Carpet does a CD check at that point - the first time you hit Enter to see your map and spells list. Check that you have the CD mounted properly. I am not sure of the command line for Ubuntu, but for Windows my mounting command was:
imgmount d d:\dosgames\doscds\mcarpet.iso -t iso

The location of the crash is a dead giveaway that it is failing the CD check.

Reply 15 of 29, by schmidtbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well the game has to read from the original disc in order to start at all. i kinda got fed up with it so i just downloaded magic carpet plus, which is basically just the original with more maps. even though its the exact same game, it doesn't crash on me. i already got to level 5 or 6. its a shame i had to just throw out the original disc, but this version of the game has more stuff and the game has no value anyway, so its not like it really matters.

so i guess my question is solved, and for anybody who has the same problem as me, just get magic carpet plus.

Ubuntu Linux user

Reply 16 of 29, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tried mine again, instead of mounting the iso or original disk, I copied the files to a folder and mounted using
mount d d:\dosgames\mcarpet
That would crash at the same point where the cd check occured.

Changing the line to
mount d d:\dosgames\mcarpet -t cdrom
worked fine. It would probably be better to use imgmount on an iso or mount the physical disk though, but that did work, enough into tricking the game into thinking it was a cd.

MC had a very simple form of copy protection, one of the first games I can remember that did a physical cd check. If it failed, it crashed to DOS.

Reply 17 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
schmidtbag wrote:

mount d /media/cdrom1

That is the culprit then. Game does a CD-check, and the CD-ROM is not mounted as CD. The -t cdrom option is missing.

Reply 19 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

When a game asks "What is drive X", DOSBox will normal report "It is a hard-drive". With the -t cdrom option in effect, DOSBox will report "It is a CD".