VOGONS

cpu grp5 illegal call 7

Topic actions

First post, by RayDream

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A newbie in programming here,

I had encountered this grp5 illegal call 7 problem as I tried to run an old game developed by taiwanese company 1994 (the game is not tested by dosbox).

The game is called DIF2, dosbox shows grp5 illegal call 7 while vdmsound is able to run it, however the speed will be messed up, playing normal speed in title screen, but a reduced speed in gameplay. I had tried SPEEDSET.exe (a speedup program), however due to the badly programming in the game, it slowed again after some pt in the game.

The game can be downloaded here:
link deleted by MiniMax

Please help!

Last edited by RayDream on 2008-10-02, 15:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It won't work in dosbox.

Reply 2 of 13, by RayDream

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

any ways to make it work?

Reply 3 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Don't know, there are several slowdown programs that you can use together with vdmsound.

Reply 4 of 13, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any link to abandonware is forbidden. We do not support abandonware on this forum. Go to the website where you got the game and ask them.

Reply 5 of 13, by RayDream

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The fact is I own the original B-disk 😀 Will it help if I share the program for anyone who can troubleshoot it?

Reply 6 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Seems like it is a problematic game for DOSBox:

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=1592

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> There are good reasons for not supporting the intentional use of illegal CPU instructions.

Tell Microsoft 😉

1+1=10

Reply 9 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe try this altered DOSBox version (as proposed by jmk) for this particular game. Please don't use it for anything else.

Reply 10 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, it works with this one.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 11 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I had an idea of how to make this game more DOSBox-friendly, but it involved hacking the executable, and that's not the best approach. I took the same general idea and turned it into a patch loader program that makes the necessary modifications in memory, so nothing is permanently changed. Run DIF2FIX.COM from the same directory where DIF-2.EXE is located. The included source code has some comments explaining the modifications.

RayDream, please check if the loader works correctly with your original, unmodified executable, as the one I tested with has clearly had its copy protection neutered. The game sometimes locks up when exiting back to DOS, but that happens even without my program.

Reply 12 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great work! Your patch works with official DOSBox 0.72, but I also tried an already cracked executable version.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 13 of 13, by RayDream

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yea it works! thanks a million! You save my life!