VOGONS

First post, by Napstr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi This has probably been answered thosands of times and I'm sure I have seen it - but as usual can't find it when I want it.

I am trying to install a program from inside dosbox which installs off multiple floppies - 1 after the other all in the install sequence - is there any command to get dosbox to recognise the new disk whilst still running the install in the background as such so I can change disks and it be recognised?

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yes - and it is the README-file. Did someone steal yours?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 12, by Napstr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry thought it was most likely a stuipid question - but in the heat ofhmoment everything seems to dissapear!

Is it the 'Ctrl F4' command or am I still way off?

Reply 3 of 12, by Napstr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The main reason I'm asking is to confirm this can be done whilst the install is still running i.e. doesn't stop the install

Reply 4 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes it can be used while the installation is running.
If it does not work try mounting with "mount a a:\ -t floppy"

Reply 5 of 12, by Napstr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Thanks for the great help.

Is there any way I can have all the files on the hard drive and swop between them in order during the install command?

Reply 6 of 12, by Napstr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The original programme was on floppy disks and as progress they call it meant that my current machines have no floppy drives 🙁,
I tried using the CD drive to do the job by mounting it to the A drive and having a stack of CD'd with only 1Mb of data on them but unfortunately something has gone wrong and i get an internal error stating the following:
Sys2.dat field 60 - this is one of the files on the first disk - is this due to the file being corrupted with the move or it recognising that it is not on the floppy drive as expected?

Reply 7 of 12, by CheshireCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still haven't figured out how to do this.
I have here seven disk images, six of them are 1.44 MB and one of them is a 720K image. The game is Sam & Max. I named them disk1.img, disk2.img, disk3.img etc.
I tried to do the following:

C:\SAM> imgmount a DISK1.IMG DISK2.IMG DISK3.IMG DISK4.IMG DISK5.IMG DISK6.IMG DISK7.IMG -t floppy
Using multiple files is only supported for cue/iso images.

So IMGMOUNT only let's me mount one image at a time, but I would need to swap disk images in order to install the game. So how do I do that?

Reply 8 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Does it work if you do a

MOUNT A "\some\folder\somewhere\called\A" -t floppy

and then manually copy the files from a diskette into the folder followed by a CTRL-F4 to force DOSBox to rescan the folder?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 12, by CheshireCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Neither of those work.
The installer finishes copying the data from the first disk without problems but then stops and asks for Disk2. Even if I wipe out the contents of the folder, copy the data from Disk2 into it and then update the directory cache it keeps on asking for the second disk.

Reply 11 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you should just use ScummVM instead for this game 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Maybe you should just use ScummVM instead for this game

Still have to get the game data files out of their installation packaging for ScummVM. 😉

The installer may be looking for labels on the floppy disks, in which case there might be no easy solution unless you can write out the images to floppies and use a real floppy drive (for that, mount the floppy drive such as MOUNT A A:\ -t floppy)