VOGONS

First post, by astroraptor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Word stopped working and is now requiring that I run share.exe prior to running Windows. I did "ver set 6 22 share.exe" and loaded it, ran Windows, same thing. Anyone?

Reply 1 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Word stopped working

when?

Reply 2 of 16, by astroraptor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Worked a few days earlier. Nothing changed OS-wise other than the TCP/IP I installed. I installed several software packages. Photoshop, WinZIP, WinImage and I also set up TCP/IP with Trumpet Winsock.

Reply 3 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well then start off with a clean win3x install and check when exactly it breaks.

Reply 4 of 16, by astroraptor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aww but I got so much installed already! Hehe, right I'll just mount another folder and start again. The only thing I can see is when I set up the network after using HAL-9000's build. That could be the culprit.

Reply 6 of 16, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Win3.11 network won't work with DOSBox's DOS.

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 16, by astroraptor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, no I'm using a packet driver and then using Trumpet WinSock to get networking working.

Reply 8 of 16, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Might be caused by this change (I got feedback by E-Mail)

2008-05-25 19:24 c2woody

* src/dos/dos_ioctl.cpp: fix Fable cdrom installer (odd harddrive
check)

05-25 AEP build works, later builds don't.

1+1=10

Reply 9 of 16, by astroraptor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's weird that it worked for some time and stopped. I used it maybe once or twice.

Reply 10 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, stopped working on my Windows, too 🙁
And I found out, through some search, that using a fake share won't cut it, since the share is used for the OLE functions or whatever. In German there is a forum post about it at http://www.win31.de/board/showtopic.php?threadid=620
Office is not a game and not that important... (just for browsingmy old stuff I did on that publisher version way back in time... 😀)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Share is not supported, and if it was detected somewhen ago then it was
due to some table missing/being too short so the flag that a file was share-enabled
was erroneously identified.

Reply 12 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't know about share.exe itself, but the WfW 3.11 way of loading the vshare.386 driver still works with the official 0.72 release. Same installation of Windows+Office works fine with 0.72 but fails with current CVS.
But like I said, I just wanted to remark/report this 😀

(though if anyone can find this fake share emulator or whatever it is called, I'd try that, too 😀)

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 16, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm not sure if share was needed for office on real hardware though.

1+1=10

Reply 14 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm not sure if share was needed for office on real hardware though.

AFAIK now it wasn't directly. "Newer" Office for Windows 3.x came with the vshare.386 driver (and WfW 3.11 came with its own driver). Thus share.exe itself wasn't needed.

Reply 15 of 16, by MisterDave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been struggling to run Word 6 on WFW 3.11 through dosbox 0.73 and have found this thread. The problem that I have is that Word 6 keeps prompting me for share.exe. I have tried loading share.exe, but the prompt persists.

I have just tried dosbox 0.72 and Word 6 loads fine without needing to load share.exe . Looking at the Word 6 'system info' menu, I see that dos is running in 'enhanced' mode, which may not need share.exe to be loaded. I'm not sure if this is true for 0.73. Is this part of a deeper well known problem in 0.73? I have tried setting ems to both true and false.

Reply 16 of 16, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not supported by the DOSBox devs - load DOS in DOSBox (at this point you could use another virtualizer too).

1+1=10