VOGONS

First post, by Eggie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if anyone's familiar with this program http://www.angelfire.com/id2/qbkaboom/

I'm assuming not, it seems pretty obscure.

It looks interesting, but when I try to run it in Dosbox (there didn't to be any way of getting to run normally in Vista) it's too sluggish to play. After you wait a few minutes for the game to load the game is incredibly unresponsive; moving in tiny, jerky increments; responding to keys pressed several seconds before.
No matter how high I put the framerate up, this never seems to change; and judging the speed the intro graphic takes to load up (a normal speed without any framerate modifications and crazy-fast speed with) I'm guessing this isn't part of the problem.

So, I'm basically wondering if there's any settings that could be fiddled with to fix this... or if I few other people could download this and see how it runs on their machines. Maybe it's just foolish to think this thing could work on a modern computer and I should just let it fade into obscurity... I had to ask, though.

Especially with the fact that a picture of Bjork is in the default sprites.
I mean, come on, that's just awesome.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Processors: Intel Core Duo E700 @ 2.53 GHz
Ram: 4 GB
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Dosbox version: 0.72

logopng.png

Reply 1 of 1, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dynamic core with max cycles improves it quite a bit compared to normal core, but it's still a bit pokey; and it seems to process keys from a buffer, contributing to the "laggy" feel. Runs pretty well in the NTVDM with VDMSound, at least on XP it does... dunno about Vista.