VOGONS

Dinotopia file not opened?

Topic actions

First post, by itmustbebunnies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been questing for the past five years to find the old game Dinotopia. I finally found it, much to my joy, and downloaded DOSBox so I could play it. The website informed me that it would indeed work with said game. Thrilled, I downloaded it, followed all the instructions, only to get this message when I try to run it:

"Can't open resource file DINOIMAG.HRS"

I am quite computer illiterate and have no idea what this means, only that it is preventing my game from running, since after that comes up it just says "Done!" and the game does not in fact show up. Does anyone more literate than I know what I can do to finally complete my quest and get this game to run again?

Some information:
Processor: Intel Celeron M 1.50GHz
1.50 GHz, 448 MB RAM
DOSBox: .72
I think my graphics card is S3 something. I'm not quite sure on the graphics card department since I messed it up pretty bad trying to get an incompatible game working on my computer, might have deleted my graphics drive, then reinstalled the S3 one so I could work on my computer again.

The game of Dinotopia I have is from the original CD-Rom, not downloaded off the internet. Is this enough information?

Reply 1 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
itmustbebunnies wrote:

The game of Dinotopia I have is from the original CD-Rom, not downloaded off the internet. Is this enough information?

It is a very good start!

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 21, by itmustbebunnies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I'm really confused.

I followed the instructions on the wiki here:
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_In … ation_of_DosBox

which is how I set everything up, and that's when I got the message whenever I tried to run the game.

I configured the sound by going C:\dino>setsound.exe and following the instructions for configuring MIDI and digital audio. For MIDI, it was "Creative labs sound blaster 16" however when I clicked "attempt to configure sound driver automatically" and it said "device detected successfully" and then "could not save configuration file." It did the same thing when I tried to configure digital audio. I also got "digital sound hardware not found" when I tried to configure the digital audio. Does this have anything to do with the mysterious "DINOIMAG.HRS" resource file that can't be opened?

Reply 4 of 21, by itmustbebunnies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just checked the properties on everything in Dinotopia and the "read-only" box under attributes is checked in every single program thing. Does that mean I'm not going to be able to run this at all?

Reply 7 of 21, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Can't find files, can't write config files, all files marked as read-only... I'm going to go ahead and ask: are you mounting your CD as the C: drive and attempting to run the game directly from it? You should mount a folder on your hard disk as the C: drive, your CD as the D: drive, and then *install* the game from the D to the C drive... didn't see you actually mention you did that.

Reply 8 of 21, by itmustbebunnies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm pretty sure I tried that...correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am, this is all new to me). Here's a screenshot of what I think is me trying to do that and it failing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Archma … sOfMusic/um.jpg

Reply 9 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Why do you do a

mount d d:\ -t cdrom

??

And why didn't you follow my advice?

Last edited by MiniMax on 2008-11-03, 20:38. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 21, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The warning you're getting when mounting the D drive occurs when you try to mount a hard disk path as a CDROM. Which drive letter in Windows is your CD drive?

I suppose the warning could be in error, though... what is listed if you do a "DIR D:" command after that mounting?

Reply 11 of 21, by itmustbebunnies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right, so the whole thing was just me being stupid and not realizing that it was E: was my cd-rom drive. I did that, and installed it, and it seems to be working just fine now.
The major slow clap of the day goes to me. *slow clap*

Reply 12 of 21, by itmustbebunnies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, nevermind. I get it to run, then after it runs just fine, when I open it again, it's missing a sound file ("can't open resource file DINOSND.HRS"). I reinstall it, and just as I'm about to go into the ship (I guess it's a cutscene) I get eighty zillion "DYNX86 can't run code in this page."
Now I'm really confused.

Reply 13 of 21, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't say how you mounted your drives.
You understand that you must mount the drives every time you want to run?
mount c: <path to installed copy of Dinotopia>
mount d: <path to cdrom>
It works fine for me.

Reply 16 of 21, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Poonis wrote:

Only thing ive really had trouble with is that i cant uncheck "Read Only" on any of the files on the cd, says access is denied.

Argh. The medium is called CD-ROM, which means "Compact Dics-Read Only Memory". Which part of "Read Only" is not clear to you?

Reply 17 of 21, by Poonis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i HAVE installed it, and i was trying to uncheck read only because thats what someone had advised earlier in the topic.

as i said, ive mounted the cd-rom, installed through that, and still managing to have problems when i run it through dosbox.

still comes up with the same problem "cant read file dinoimag.hrs"

Reply 18 of 21, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

How did your mounting look like when you installed it, how does it look
like when you start the game, how exactly do you start it etc. is it really
that hard to provide information?

Reply 19 of 21, by Poonis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my mounting looked EXACTLY the same as the previous posted picture, except for replacing "mount d d:\ -t cdrom" to "mount d e:\ -t cdrom", yet while he says that works, mine still continues to fail.