VOGONS

Ultima 8 Mouse Problem

Topic actions

First post, by Tarvok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Odd problem here. The mouse isn't quite working right. I can walk (press and hold right mouse button). I can interact with objects (double left click). I can enter and exit battle mode normally (double right click). However, I can't close windows using the right button (right single click), and, most importantly, I can't jump! (left and right at the same time, either standing, or from a run).

As per the guidelines here:

1. Motherboard: nVidia nForce3 250
2. Processor: AMD 2200 Mhz (or so, can't remember exactly) Sempron 64
3. 3/4 765(?) MB RAM, can't recall the type
4. Radeon 9200
5. onboard sound
6. Ubuntu 8.10 (64 bit)
7. Ultima 8, CD to Hard Drive version (most recent to the best of my knowledge)
8. See above
9. Happens all the time; never can jump (am I just that white? 😉 )
10. Sound mode: Whatever defaults. Emulating soundblaster 16/pro
11. Video Mode: Not sure. Whatever Ubuntu defaults to on my system
12. Dosbox 0.72
13. Yes, I've read the readme, searched the entire internets for "Ultima 8" and "mouse", rediscovered a message I posted on the Ubuntu forums years ago (lol, forgot I'd tried this before), searched this forum for "Ultima 8", and "Pagan". It seems I'm the only person in the universe that's ever had this problem

It's frustrating. This is the first time since playing it on my old P90 I get to hear the music correctly (I LOVE the music!!!!!11!one!), and now I can't actually leave the starting area (since you gotta jump to get anywhere). Can anybody help?

To those who understand,
I extend my hand.
To the doubtful I demand,
Take me as I am.

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you can't use some keyboard key to jump ?
pressing 2 mouse buttons at the same time is rare. It is possible that we emulate it wrong.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Jumping with both mouse buttons works OK for me. I have applied the 2.12 patch, which does have a change for jump targetting, but I don't recall it not working at all in the unpatched game... I'd have to reinstall to check it. I'm on WinXP, though, so perhaps there is an OS-specific issue.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tarvok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Jumping with both mouse buttons works OK for me. I have applied the 2.12 patch, which does have a change for jump targetting, but I don't recall it not working at all in the unpatched game... I'd have to reinstall to check it. I'm on WinXP, though, so perhaps there is an OS-specific issue.

I just remembered that I do have another partition with an illegal copy of WinXP on it. The only thing I've used it for thus far is playing Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri (which doesn't work under Linux at all). I installed Dosbox under it, then Pagain, and guess what? It runs just fine. You are correct; my problem is OS specific.

It'd be nice if I didn't have to restart the computer every time I wanted to play U8, but at least I can play.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

then it sounds like an SDL problem on your Ubuntu to me... Weren't there more problems keyboard related to recent Ubuntus and SDL?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by Tarvok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

then it sounds like an SDL problem on your Ubuntu to me... Weren't there more problems keyboard related to recent Ubuntus and SDL?

Heh, totally goes over my head.

To those who understand,
I extend my hand.
To the doubtful I demand,
Take me as I am.

Reply 6 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A long shot, but have you tried a different mouse? I know on OS X that the standard Apple Mighty Mouse has trouble with right clicks or both buttons down when used with DOSBox, but I can hook up a regular USB mouse and it works properly. I believe this is probably because the Mighty Mouse is still essentially a single button mouse with a touch sensitive surface. It probably isn't the same with Ubuntu but it might be worth a try.