VOGONS

First post, by silver237

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Star Control 1 runs well, music is fine, but the actual Sound effects are WAY OFF! I tried messing with the config file in various way, but the pitch/tone/etc of the effects never really changed to what they are supposed to be. Has anyone gotten them to run right? ..or is this an emulated error we have to wait to get fixed in the future?

Reply 1 of 1, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Star Control detects the MPU-401 interface in DOSBox, and uses it in preference to other sound devices; however it only supports an MT-32/LAPC-1 synth, and the instrument patches often don't sound right with GM synths. You can hook up a real MT-32, or use a special build of DOSBox that includes MT-32 emulation like MUNT, but otherwise you need to get StarCon to use another sound device. One way to do this is to disable the MPU-401 by typing "mpu401 none" at the prompt before running the game (or set mpu401=none in the conf file), forcing it to find another device, probably an Adlib or CMS. There are also command line parameters for selecting the sound device you want to use, consult your manual for those.

Edit: there is one other option for using a GM synth with games that think they're driving an MT-32. I have a MIDI file called MT32EMUL.MID that was included with Roland Sound Canvas synths; it remaps GM patches to be close to what an MT-32 uses, which is an improvement, but the sound is still not authentic, and of course any SYSEX messages a game uses won't work. I tried it with Star Control, and it actually works pretty well with the GM synth on my Audigy 2 ZS. Unfortunately, I can't post the remapper MIDI file because it is copyrighted by Roland.