VOGONS

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to play System Shock 1 through DOSBox. It installs fine and everything. But when I run cdshock.exe, one of the following happens:

A: It starts up fine, and when I start a new game or continue, it loads just fine.

B: It promptly crashes to this:
shockedwq8.jpg

C: It starts up fine but when I start a new game or continue, it crashes to a screen that looks like the one in B but with a garbled Citadel Station in the background.

D: DOSBox crashes before I even get to start a new game, returning this:
Exit to error: RET from illegal descriptor type

E: It starts up fine, but when I start a new game or continue, it crashes to this:
Exit to error: Pagefault didn't correct table

F: This message:
Our system has been shocked!! But remember to Salt the Fries
Page Fault
<tables of hex garbage>

I've tried downloading SystemShockPortable and running it the DOSBox way, but it has the same issues.

Is there anything I can do to make the game start up more reliably?

Reply 1 of 4, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, I think I found the problem. I must have installed some patch and forgotten about it, because the file cdshock.exe in the install dir did not match what was on the disc. I just copied over the old cdshock.exe overwriting the new one, and now it seems to start reliably.

One behavior I've noticed is that when I was using the mystery patch, it would generate a large file called something like SHOCK1P.AYL (I forget exactly what) into whatever was mounted as the root of C. And the SSP version generates one called "PHQGHUME.AYL" right into the base game directory. The "not patched" exe doesn't generate either of these.

Reply 3 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are a number of patches for the CD version of System Shock to increase compatibility with the NTVDM, such as Mok's XP patch. In addition to various hacks, it replaces the Rational Systems Extender (DOS4GW) bound into the executable with the Causeway DOS Extender. Would be understandable if the issues mentioned here are the result of an alternate extender. FWIW, DOS32A seems to work well with System Shock and DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOS32A causes problems in some cases, usually you get the best results
with a current dosbox release and the original dos4gw or, if that causes
problems, with the 2.01 dos4gw executable.