VOGONS

First post, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been spending loads of time trying to get Achtung Spitfire! and Over the Reich pc by Avalon Hill to run.

System: Windows XP Pro, 1 dvd r/w drive, 1 80Gb HD, 1G SLI video RAM, 4Gb RAM all on a laptop with Intel 2.93 Extreme processor laptop. I have read the README file from Dosbox .72...I may not understand everything in that file but, I've been able to get old Dos games from Avalon Hill to run just fine.

The games install just fine. When I try to run the game either with or without Dosbox, I get the message, "Achtung Spitfire! was not able to locate the CD ROM. You must have the CD ROM to play this game." Obviously, the cd is in the drive. This is a problem that happens everytime I run either game.

Typically, I run the game in Dosbox as follows:

mount c c:\achtspit
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
c:
cd achtspit

Then I try ASP95.exe. ASP95, ASP31 (it's windows 3.1 but I'll try anything to get these games to run), ASP31.exe If I try to run the exe files, I get the message saying that the program must be run in Windows32 systems or words to that affect.

Double clicking on the short cut in my hd gives me the above quoted message.

I've tried running from the d drive (which is the letter of my dvd drive) from Dosbox and played around with commands like:

mount c d:\achtspit etc.

As I'm traveling away from home extensively, I only brought the CD and the manual to both games with no box for reference...I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure if the game is Windows 95 or Dos. Bear with me on that as well as if I posted this in the incorrect topic of the forum.

I've combed the net and done numerous searches and read many threads on this forum. I've really put forth an effort to do my homework before posting here.

I could sure use anyone's very specific help.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Did you install the game from inside DOSBox?

With those mountings?

It might be that you need to add a -label something to the CD-ROM mount command, where something is the name of the CD, e.g. ACHTSPIT or something.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 12, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I usually try to run the programs from inside Dosbox.

I tried several combinations of using the label you spoke of.

mount c c:\ovrreich
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -label OVRREICH (or ACHTSPIT)
c:
cd otr

Hopefully this is the correct way to label and attempt to run the program in the way you spoke of.

Then, once again, I try the .exe files and get a message stating that the game must run under Win32.

I've tried getting into the program by using the shortcut in the game folder. I get the no cd found type message I wrote about earlier.

The directory that the game fall under are ACHTSPIT and OVRREICH, so I assumed that these were the correct labels.

I still plugging away at this!

Reply 3 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it says it must be run under WIN32 then it's a Windows programs an cannot be run in DOSBox (unless you install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox).

If your trying to run the game in Windows without DOSBox and it cannot find the CD then you can try changing your CDROM drive letter to D:\. (Alot of old games expect the CDROM to be on lower drive letters like D: or E:)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 12, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I suspected the games to be for Windows but didn't have the box to confirm that.

I guess this means Dosbox won't work for these games at all?

Also, my dvd drive is drive 'd' under My Computer. 😀

Reply 6 of 12, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One forum off the NET suggested using a hex editor to change a couple of values in the .exe file to get the program to "think" that the cd was in the drive (which it is)...But that was a fix for Avalon Hill's, "D-Day: America Invades" which had the same problem of not finding the cd rom in the drive. I think one other person tried it for OTR and AS! and it didn't work.

I have no idea what hex editors are free and simple to use or I'd try it myself. I have some possible hex addresses to check (listed on that forum) and what values to change from and to. I have zero experience with hex editors although I understand hex from college.

It's hard to believe that this issue seems to be unresolveable for a seemingly simple problem.

Reply 7 of 12, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@wd

I get that Dosbox is for DOS games but like I mentioned, I don't have the box to verify that it is in fact a Windows game and you guys do have threads for Windows games too, right? 😀

As it was, other forums out on the NET suggested Dosbox as a possible solution. I'm checking all possiblities for a solution.

Reply 9 of 12, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Be nice wd...my first post described the Win32 thing. If I'd known (for sure) that this was a 100% Windows thing, do you think I would've posted here? Not likely.

On the other hand, I had some old notes with my instruction manual for OTR that I wrote with the way to get the game running in DOS not Windows. I tried that path and it didn't work either.

Based on this and my earlier posts, you might see why I didn't know beyond the shadow of a doubt that this might be a Windows program.

Reply 11 of 12, by braz24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used Google extensively before I posted. I don't typically go to Moby Games when trying to troubleshoot programs.

I posted here as a last resort after posting in a few other forums with no success for a solution.

Dosbox is for DOS game...yes, I get that. I'm not sure why this forum has a section for Windows if that's the case.

Well, Dosfreak was decent about. Sorry to trouble you wd.