VOGONS

Amulets and Armor, sound issues.

Topic actions

First post, by Burnov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble getting Amulets and Armor to recognize sound card emulation.

When I run setsound and it autodetects the gravis sound card, it technically works when I test it.

However when I run AA, it crashes right after the initial clap of thunder and the title screen.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Reply 6 of 23, by cubancigar11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

This is an old thread, but I am having the same issue. There is no sound when I play this game. (I have tried Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster Pro.) Neither in the game nor in the setup.

Any idea?

Reply 11 of 23, by cubancigar11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I found the problem.

Thanks for your help you guys.

I should have mentioned before that I was using DOSBox from PortableApps.com

When launching DOSBox using their launcher (DOSBoxPortable.exe), there is no sound. But when it is launched directly, everything is flawless. (In both cases, Soundblaster is detected.)

Thanks again and very sorry for wasting your time 🙁

I will report a bug to PortableApps...

Reply 13 of 23, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WD how about making a separate download with dosboxportable on dosbox.com so that people don't have to get it from freaky sites (with freaky config), as it gains popularity since dosbox 0.73 appeared.

Reply 15 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If they are using ANYTHING different than the official release and a default
dosbox config file, they shall post here why they are doing that.

It's the third time this comes up. Maybe you (Dosbox devs) should contact them and ask them what is up. As far as I understood from the other threads they are at least NOT using the default config because of how they manage the path to the portable device. Most likely their DOSBox binary is not the official version as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 17 of 23, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

I don't see the need for a dosboxportable because dosbox is already fully
portable in that you can just copy the dosbox.exe+config file around as you wish.

That is not enough. You also have to add mount c .\folder in dosbox.conf and create a folder in dosbox folder. Also dosbox.conf is in hidden folder.

Reply 18 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That is not enough. You also have to add mount c .\folder in dosbox.conf and create a folder in dosbox folder.

Yeah that sounds like a lot of work.

Also dosbox.conf is in hidden folder.

That's why you can create your own easily.

But admittedly an independent unrelated release of exactly the same thing
plus the above things surely makes it unbelievably easier.

Reply 19 of 23, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't even need to use gus=false. As far as I know, you'd only have to do that for Quake.

Amulets & Armor uses the HMI Sound System libraries and you can reconfigure the sound device easily by SETSOUND.

Running SETSOUND and choosing Sound Blaster 16 or Pro will solve this problem (one of these has compatibility problems with the game strangely)

PortableApps(dawt com!!) is a self-promotional joke.

apsosig.png
long live PCem