VOGONS

First post, by vectorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello,

New to DOSBox. I'm running version 0.72.

The game I'm playing is MS Space Sim and it's a legal copy I bought myself back in 1994 at a store in the mall.

The problem is that the frame-rate is 1 fps. Since no one else plays this game, maybe you guys can just guess at something to try for a faster frame-rate.

Graphics, sound, mouse, etc., are working.

Thanks.

Here's some system stats:
XP-Pro
2 GB ram
Intel dual core 3.0GHz
GeForce 8800GT

Reply 2 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a real mode game, try typing

core dynamic
cycles max

prior to the execution of space simulator

IIRC there was a flicker problem with the graphics, haven't tried this since 0.65

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 9, by vectorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the super quick response 😀

The things you guys listed worked! I heard the rumbling roar of the spacecraft engines for the first time since 1995. Wow.

Unfortunately, I believe the game itself cannot run properly on a modern PC. When I increased the frame-rate, the time-scale increased to a non-realistic pace. It said 1-sec=1-sec, but the clock was clicking off seconds really fast. There was also flickering, and the mouse cursor flickered.

If another Space Sim player has some tips, it would be great to hear them.

Thanks for the great program!

Reply 5 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Try adjusting the cycles. Set it to something like cycles=20000 to start with. Then you can use CTRL-F10 and CTRL-F11 (I think - check the README), to raise and lower the cycles settings until you find something that works for you.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 9, by vectorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I used the cycles command and it seemed to help. I can use Ctrl-F12 to up the frame rate without the clock going nuts.

But, when I try to turn the direction of my ship, it will only turn somewhat, then jump clear around almost pointing the same direction. If I'm headed toward a planet, I have to turn the opposite direction and fire my engines to slow down and have a chance to go into orbit. I can't get my ship turned around. It's close to working, though.

Any Space Sim players out there? I'm the only one left I think.

Reply 8 of 9, by vectorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use keyboard rather than a joystick.

I just tried the game again and it's working much better, and I don't know why. Does DOSBox learn? My turning problem may have been solved when I raised the "precision" setting. The clock is working good, and I didn't see any flicker.

The game has a general choppiness rather than smoothness as it had on a 486. I can raise frame-rate with Ctrl-F12 to blend the frames, but still choppy.

Tomorrow I will attempt to orbit the Moon in real time and dock with the lunar orbitor. If I can do that, then the game is working.

Reply 9 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vectorg wrote:

Any Space Sim players out there? I'm the only one left I think.

finding dedicatied sim nuts for ANY vehicle theme these days is tough with glorified arcade shooters being the only ones around like Hawx. ew 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem