VOGONS

First post, by DrVeronica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I’m trying to install the game, “Are You Afraid Of The Dark” (1994) on my comp, which (unfortunately) runs Vista. The files for the game are burned on a cd-r.

1) Game installs into a subdirectory in my C drive under programs:

\vmn\afraid

2) Made a folder called “OLDGAMES” and dragged the “Afraid” folder out of the “VMN” folder and into it.

3) When I get to this part:

One more step, running the game! Most games have an EXE file in their directory that you can run. However, some might require a BAT file, or COM file (common in demos and really old games). Most of the time, the file is in the root folder. Please consult the documentation of your game for which file is needed to start the game. In the case of Test Drive, it's TDCGA.EXE. So now, I just type this:
C:\TESTDRIV>TDCGA.EXE

I type in “AFRAID.BAT” and I get the following error:

Drive E does not exist!
You must mount it first. Type intro or intro mount for more information.
Illegal command: E:\AFRAID.
C:\AFRAID>

Please help...I've been trying to figure this out since yesterday and I can't get it to go...What am I doing wrong??

Reply 2 of 15, by DrVeronica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No matter what, the following is going to expose me as a retarded noob...but what do you mean the contents of the .bat file? I should note it is the ONLY file under the "AFRAID" folder (inside "OLDGAMES")

The original instructions called for the user to install the game and then use VDMSound, and keep the cd mounted.

Reply 3 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

open afraid.bat with notepad

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 15, by DrVeronica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@echo off
E:
E:\AFRAID E:\AFRAID.DTA -dp C:\VNM\AFRAID
C:

Reply 5 of 15, by DrVeronica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright so I went back over to the installation page and here's my question....if I mount E drive (E being my cdrom), when I get to this part, I'm a bit confused:

Hopefully, you're all set! Now, it's time to run the game. Previously I had mentioned a game called TESTDRIV in my OLDGAMES folder. I now want DOSBox to go to that folder. So type in:

C:\>CD TESTDRIV

C:\TESTDRIV>

For one thing, I wouldn't have an OLDGAMES folder still, correct?

Reply 6 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[MOVED]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 15, by DrVeronica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, so where was this moved to? 🤣 ah I see...

Reply 8 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If the "instructions" tell you to use vdmsound, it doesn't sound like that's
the original version of the game, is it?

Reply 9 of 15, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Contact your game burner then, DrVeronica.

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 10 of 15, by DrVeronica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought VDMsound allowed a person to play a MSdos game on their more "advanced" system, and that's it...

and what do you mean by "original version"...do you mean a hard copy of the game? I thought I had mentioned in my first post that the game is on a cd-r

Reply 11 of 15, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DrVeronica wrote:

I thought VDMsound allowed a person to play a MSdos game on their more "advanced" system, and that's it...

No, the VDMSound 1.10 package provides an emulated SoundBlaster (1.0, Pro 1&2, 16) for the NTVDM of WinNT, Win2K and WinXP. The NTVDM provides the emulated DOS environment for applications and some games.

DrVeronica wrote:

and what do you mean by "original version"...do you mean a hard copy of the game? I thought I had mentioned in my first post that the game is on a cd-r

That is the big clue in your post, the fact that the game was burned on a 'cd-r'. You see, older legitimate versions of commercial games are not burned on a cd-r, they are stamped on a CD-ROM or came on 5.25 or 3.5 inch diskettes. So your copy is pirated and you should go visit the person, place or website from which you received your 'pirate copy' and ask your technical support questions there... This website does not condone game piracy. Look at the bottom three text lines on every VOGONs webpage.

dvwjr

Reply 12 of 15, by DrVeronica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sheesh, let's not get our panties in a bunch.

Let me make this known, since I feel I HAVE to...

I KNOW "older legitimate" games are on cd-roms and disks...I HAVE THIS very game, currently on a NON WORKING acer comp running WIN 95 from '94...if I could get that baby up and running and IF I could FIND the cd (which I CANNOT), then boy o boy I wouldn't have had to get my hands on this "illegal" copy here...it's not like I just RANDOMLY picked this game here fellas, I love this game and I KNOW this game b/c I OWN it but CAN'T obviously play it.

::rolls eyes::

Reply 13 of 15, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have the game (or a copy), and I know it's important to always use the original media, especially since the original media does last forever, and modern computer equipment is backward compatible forever too. 😜

That aside, for the sake of general dosbox use, one doesn't need to use vdmsound. DOSBox itself emulates an x86 PC and various peripherals (more or less.) including the soundcard.

If you dislike vista for instance, you could run your favorite Windows OS in an emulator as well: virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org/ or qemu http://www.qemu.org/. I personally recommend using ubuntu linux http://www.ubuntu.com/ as the host OS, as it is free and isn't full of anti-features.

For your case in regard to the game cd, I'd recommend these commands
mount c C:\oldgames
mount d e:\afraid
d:
dir

look for the setup or installer, then run it.
if you can install the game, you should be able to run it fine from what you mount as C:\ (which is the directory oldgames on your host os.)

Reply 14 of 15, by DrVeronica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

woo hoo I finally got the game going, thank you boyofdestiny 😀

the only thing now is that the game is a bit choppy...I went ahead and increased my CUP usage to 95%, which did help out the speed of it big time but the game is still choppy as I move my mouse across. I've played with the frameskip (0 on up but it didn't really help)

is there anything I can do more to help the performance? I was thinking of increasing the ram, but isn't that what I'm doing if I'm increasing CPU?

Reply 15 of 15, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

core=dynamic
cycles=max

"What's a paladin?!"