VOGONS

First post, by jeffhad02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Onbce I run the game from the dos prompt, it asks me if I have a joystick, and then if I want digitized speech, and then finally it quits and says "runtime error R6003".

Anyone have a clue as to what the problem is?

Reply 2 of 10, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

R6003 is divide overflow. In the event that you are using DOSBox, you might have the cycles set too high.

Reply 3 of 10, by jeffhad02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't messed with anything in DosBox- I installed it this afternoon right after I downloaded SS2.

Any suggestions as to where I should set the cycles?

Reply 4 of 10, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😁
Here is the solution, run it as

SS2 VGA ADLIB 720

Case matters for the parameters, so make sure it is VGA not vga.

P.S. Don't worry cpu cycles isn't the problem.

Reply 5 of 10, by jeffhad02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

do I type that instead of just ss2 at the prompt? because when i do, it says filename not found.

Reply 6 of 10, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try this:

Type SS2

It will work then error out

Type SS2 VGA ADLIB 720

It will work as it should.

File not found should be impossible if you
make sure it is typed exactly as above, with SS2 at the beginning (that's the exe, the rest are the input parameters, so if the exe is there when you first try, it would be there no matter what you type after, make sure you have the spaces and everything!)

Reply 7 of 10, by jeffhad02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does it make a difference that I am running this on a Mac? Because it still says filename not found when I type "ss2 VGA ADLIB 720" I've included some screenshots.

Reply 8 of 10, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jeffhad02 wrote:

I haven't messed with anything in DosBox- I installed it this afternoon right after I downloaded SS2.

Maybe the problem you have is an incomplete pirated copy of the Silent Service II DOS game. This is one reason why the VOGONs forum does not condone supporting so-called 'abandonware'. You may have a damaged copy and are wasting time here trying to solve your self-inflicted problem.

I am sure that the website from which you downloaded Silent Service II will be happy to help you with your problems.

dvwjr

Reply 9 of 10, by jeffhad02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gee, thanks for your help dvwjr. 😒 I'm sure whoever published the game in 1990 would be happy to help me as well? Give me a break, the game is 18 years old. So unless you have a way to help out, get lost. Thanks.

Reply 10 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm sure whoever published the game in 1990 would be happy to help me as well?

Irrelevant. And closed.