VOGONS

First post, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, now Im trying dosbox 0.73 on linux, which i compiled from source, and I'm trying to run Rise of the Triad, and it runs, but too slow to be playable. And the music is out of sync and slow. I'm noticing some errors in the dosbox console, these are the errors:

ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
MIDI:Opened device:oss

I read somewhere that timidity is needed to play music in dosbox under linux, but I dont know which version to get, since there are many. Can anyone offer suggestions?

thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What linux distribution are you running?

If it's Ubuntu, just get the package timidity.

For dosbox 0.73, your config is in ~/.dosbox/dosbox-0.73.conf

(it's quick in terminal to just cut n' paste

gedit ~/.dosbox/dosbox-0.73.conf

)

In the config file [midi] section
midiconfig=128:0

You probably need to adjust other settings for full speed, you can try opengl or overlay, instead of surface (in the [sdl] section)

Save the config then launch your game, see how it goes.

P.S. If you are new to the Linux version, one thing I like is that you can right click your .bat, .exe, or .com and launch with dosbox. It will mount the location as c automatically, works with every dos game I've tried and a custom .bat for cd mounting, makes it super easy to launch dos games even without a front-end.

Reply 2 of 6, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah ok, great, thanks for the info! Yes, Im using ubuntu 9.04. Do you advice any of the settings in output? overlay, surface, opengl ...?

I'm not new to linux, I know my way around it, I tend to use just dosbox, without frontends, since I dont know if there are frontends for linux. I like to type the commands myself. 😀

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 3 of 6, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see. You can try each setting and see which one works best for you. Surface is just using software render, so it is likely the slowest if you have hardware acceleration.
Just play around (there are new ones in 0.73 for machine= for example, maybe the videomode is problematic with your game.)

Without knowing your hardware I can't make a better guess then that.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to test out multiple settings 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

btw boyofdestiny try this as command

dosbox -editconf gedit

This way you don't need to remember where it is 😉

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 6, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boyofdestiny wrote:
I see. You can try each setting and see which one works best for you. Surface is just using software render, so it is likely the […]
Show full quote

I see. You can try each setting and see which one works best for you. Surface is just using software render, so it is likely the slowest if you have hardware acceleration.
Just play around (there are new ones in 0.73 for machine= for example, maybe the videomode is problematic with your game.)

Without knowing your hardware I can't make a better guess then that.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to test out multiple settings 😀

Well, my older computer has a pentum 4 3ghz with HT, geforce 6200 256mb, 1.5mb ddr RAM, thats the one im trying dosbox on. My newer computer has a c2d, 2gb ddr2ram x1950pro. Is the p4 cpu too slow for the latter, more demanding DOS games?

Reply 6 of 6, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix: That is much simpler, and works like a charm 😀
I haven't typed `man dosbox` in ages...
-exit, -machine are super useful, I was making .bat files and using a custom config for CGA games when I could have just used those simple parameters...

TemptingTheLure: I'm wondering about the video driver for your video card, that and I don't have any DOS games beyond 1997... Proprietary video drivers tend to stink on 2D acceleration (at least when I tried them...) So it could just be that. I'm on a coreduo, 2 gig of ram, onboard intel, dell e1705 laptop... DOSBox has run everything I've thrown at it (except that old talking parrot thing that came with soundblaster, or sb16 can't even remember anymore...)

You can try disabling flashy compiz effects if enabled:
Go to System -> Prefrences -> Appearance
Set Visual Effects to None.

If that doesn't help I guess try a different driver if possible, or toy with the dosbox settings, I think your machine should be able to handle it (fairly sure anyway 😉 )