VOGONS

First post, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been searching around the forums, but couldn't find any information about getting redbook audio (CD tracks) working.

I am trying to play Descent 2, Descent 2: Vertigo, and Tomb Raider 1. All of which use redbook music.

I am using NRG (Nero) images mounted on to a virtual DVD-ROM (Daemon tools), which support multiple tracks. The disk images work fine in media players, I get the relavant album info and such.

The problem is in DosBOX. I am using v 0.72, with this CD mount command:

mount F F:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0

No redbook audio works in game, I have to use MIDI instead. Have I done something wrong, or is redbook audio currently not supported?

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

Reply 1 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Are you sure -usecd 0 is correct?

Reply 2 of 8, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

use a label, im 90% sure descent 2 requires a cd label.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 8, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same problem with Descent 2. It is solved easily by using the imgmount command in dosbox 0.72. First, convert your descent 2 image file to bin/cue format and type

imgmount d c:\games\descent2\d2.cue -t iso

to mount the game, where c:\games\descent2\d2.cue should be your actual image file location. After that you will get cd audio proper. Also you can use the free variant of the program isobuster (http://www.isobuster.com/) to make a cue/bin image of your Descent 2 cd.

Reply 4 of 8, by stormsh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, I don´t get the sound working. It´s installed and running, but no sound. I did the autodetection but when the game starts I get the message that ULTRASND.INI is not found and that "the specified driver is not loaded". At startup "set blaster=a220 I7 D1 H5 T6", "set ultrasnd=240,3,3,5,5", "set ultradir=C:\ULTRASND" are loaded, but before I mount C and D (cdrom) so I put these command behind the mounting in the autoexec.bat. But the drivers are not loaded.
What did I do wrong, or what did I didn´t do?

Thx 4 F1.

st.

Reply 5 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Unless you REALLY want that Ultrasound thingy, change the gus=true to gus=false in your dosbox.conf file. Then the auto-detection will not see it and that INI error should go away.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 8, by stormsh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, thank you very much. The error is gone and I got the sound working.
Now the next little problem. I can´t set the resolution higher than 320x200 in the game and in the setup only the video resolution is set. Is there a way to manually set it higher? Maybe the resolution settings in the dosbox conf?

st.

Reply 7 of 8, by 2005InfinitiG35

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

did you ever get the sound FX working on Descent2? They work for Descent1 and other games but not D2, if you did how?

Reply 8 of 8, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes the work fine for me, but CD audio only works if I use DOSbox's CD image mount tool.

Thanks,

Adam Reece.