VOGONS

First post, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install this old top down shooter. I'm sure at least some of you have heard of it. The problem is, it says there's not enough disk space on the drive I'm installing it on. There is, of course, way more space that it requires.

I realize there is a thread about "Game X doesn't work" yadda yadda and there is a part in that thread about a smiliar issue. That, however, is referring to memory, not disk space. Regardless, I've tried the Loadfix command and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

My mount commands, which I've added to the autoexec portion of the dosbox.conf file, are thus:

mount d e:\ -t cdrom
mount c d:\

Everything else is default except for some screen resolution settings.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, the post is in the wrong forum, it should be in one of the DOSBox forums.

Second, you should give info about the DOSBox version you're using and the OS you're on.

Third, mounting the root of a host drive is not recommended. You should create a directory and mount that as the c:\ drive.

Fourth, this could be a permission issue. Mount your drives like in the example you've given, and try to copy a file from the CD to your virtual c:\ drive. If that doesn't work see third point (; .

Reply 3 of 6, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum.

As for the version of DOSBox I'm using, I don't have that right off hand. I'll have to get that next time I'm on my other computer. The one with DOSBox. However, thanks to a previous thread of mine on this forum, I've been able to locate the date of the latest version of DOSBox that I have installed. It was downloaded from this link: http://builds.tharos-online.de/ as linked to me in this thread: Can't get Tower of Souls to work. Current version of DOSBox as of March of this year. Whatever version that is.

I suppose I'll try the latest July update when I'm on my other computer next.

As for PC specs:

Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
2GB DDR2 RAM
ATi Radeon HD 3600
the hard drive in question is 120 GB

Also, it's not a permission issue. I've gotten many other games to work just fine, including Wolfenstein 3D, Crusader: No Remorse, Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos, Dune II, and quite a few others. Raptor and Descent II are the only ones I seem to be having problems with.

As far as mounting the root of a drive goes, why is that not recommended? I can certainly try making a folder and mounting that instead, but I don't see what difference it would make.

Reply 4 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Deadsayer wrote:

As far as mounting the root of a drive goes, why is that not recommended? I can certainly try making a folder and mounting that instead, but I don't see what difference it would make.

You will see the difference the day you download a illegal copy of your favourite game from some shady site, and the "game" is not really a game but something that decides to delete everything on the C-drive in DOSBox.

And then you will be sorry and come here whining about how DOSBox killed your PC.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 6, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Um...no. Also, I resent the implication that I'm stupid. When and if I download a game, I know how to tell whether it's the game or not. Second, if it did delete everything on the drive, I know better than to blame it on DOSBox. Third, the drive I'm mounting is not C drive. If it deleted everything on the drive, the most I'd have to do is reinstall all the old games I have on it.

However, all the games I'm trying to install are not illegal copies. I own them all on CD, tyvm. I have yet to need to resort to a torrent for any of the old games I wish to play.

button.jpg

Reply 6 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Stupid or not, you obviously failed to read line 425-530 of the README file. Otherwise you would have known not to mount the full drive, and you would have known the answer to your disk-space problem.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions