VOGONS

First post, by Morsigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I promise to those that read this that I have come to start a new thread in this forum only as a last resort.

I installed the bethsoft free release of Daggerfall and got it up and running flawlessly, however in the end the game is very choppy, especially indoors (where there are a lot of sprites and doors), and the music is burpy. From what I've read this is a result of my 1.5 gig processor being not quite up to the task that DOSbox puts before it. Is that most likely the case? It is already using all of my processor's resources (CPU % is 100).

As a side question, and I don't expect a response since this second one is not DOSbox related, a while ago I was able to install straight from the CD and play Daggerfall, but due to the NT memory issue it was unplayable. I finally found out how to take care of said issue, so I went to install the game again... only now the install screen simply sits there, black. This is probably due to my recent (six months) change in video card. Anyone capable of pointing me to a better source for information regarding this, or a solution?

Reply 1 of 6, by Morsigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It appears I hadn't exhausted all of my options. I just found the thread from 2003 re: dagnt5x.zip, so I'm going to try that out.

Reply 2 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

A couple of things to try:

Change output method.
Do not use scalers.
Increase frame-skip.
Force dynamic core.
Use cycles=30000. Or more. Or less.
Decrease mixer-rate.
Decrease OPL-rate.
Unplug any joystick.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 6, by Morsigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I appreciate the help. I will give these a go when/if I try DOSbox again, but I think I may just about have it anyway. I tried the Dagnt5x.zip thing and it got the game running. The new issues I have are outside the realm of DOSbox at the moment.

Reply 4 of 6, by Malignant Manor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You should hopefully use this advice if running the XP patch else you can face a bug causing quests to be unable to be completed.

Reply 5 of 6, by Morsigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Funny you should mention it. I have the "ImDisk" program they suggest sitting on my desktop, but I wanted to see if the issue was still present. After slaying some invisible rats for a fighter's guild quest I have decided to pursue the virtual drive solution.

Any advice on setting this stuff up or is it just as straight forward as they say in the UESP article?

Reply 6 of 6, by Malignant Manor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any advice on setting this stuff up or is it just as straight forward as they say in the UESP article?

I've never had to use it.