VOGONS

Dinotopia on a mac

Topic actions

First post, by Shloogorgh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so it's been my ambition to relive the childhood memories of this 1995 game based on the James Gurney books... I'm almost there, but I need a final push.

So I've got DOSBox v0.73, here's the commands I go through:

1. mount c: ~/dosgames
2. c:
3. cd c:/dino
4. setsound.exe

Okay so far so good, I've mounted my dosgames folder, set it to read my dinotopia folder as a cd, and then I've run the setsound file and established Sound Blaster for MIDI and Digital Audio. The auto detection function works and all seems well. So:

5. dino.exe

I run the game, and it works! The gameplay is just as I remembered it! BUT... no sound. And this is a game where there it is plenty necessary due to dialogue, not to mention the music is half the reason I wanted to play again.

So any ideas?

Alternatively, I tried going about this method:

1. mount c: ~/dosgames/dino
2. c:
3. setsound.exe

once again so far so good

4. dino.exe

Uh oh. Trouble. "Can't open resource file 'DINOIMAG.HRS' Done!"

So I can't run the game at all this alternative way. Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using some kind of CD-rip? If the game used redbook audio for its dialog (quite possible for a 1995 game), then it could be missing.

Reply 2 of 2, by Shloogorgh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, the rip I got is likely incomplete. I had forgotten about the opening video until I found it here: http://www.viddler.com/explore/Synapsid/videos/3/

Mine skips this and goes right to the gameplay... so it seems I'm probably missing video and audio.

If only I still had the original cd, but it burned up in the California wildfires years ago... and it's going for over 70 bucks on ebay, a bit much for a touch of nostalgia.

I guess I'll have to hold off for a more complete copy.