VOGONS

Runtime error 216 (Dig-it!)

Topic actions

First post, by Loki_89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again,

I didnt get any response from my last post, but another problem apeared with my Dig-it! game...

When im about 32% of the game, at enter to a stage, it says:

Runtime error 216 at 0002 : 3724.

his error happened too when i was playing with win 98 in my old pc, cause the game is for win 95 or 3.X... is there any way to change the dos emulating verion or something like this?

THnk you to all for your time...

Loki

Newie here. Nice to meet you all ^^

Reply 1 of 25, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That error is the "general protection fault", which is probably caused by a program error. This has nothing to do with the version of DOS reported by DOSBox, especially if it's a Windows game (as you seem to imply). If it is a DOS game, then it has nothing to do with Windows and you could instead try booting real DOS inside DOSBox.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 25, by Loki_89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MMM, how to say it...

In the back if the cd case, it says, Windos 3.1, 3.11 or 95
OS MS DOS 5.0 or better
2 MB ram ...
256 colors and some other stuff...

Any ideas about what can i do to finish this game, it was the favourite one since i was a child, and i have never been able to end it...

Thnks for response anyways 😉

Reply 3 of 25, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A quick check at MobyGames says it's a DOS game (not designed to be run under Windows at all, although it does run under the most common Windows versions of the time).

Then it is likely that it is just that programming error, possibly surfacing through an incompatibility with DOSBox. One of the most common causes for such errors surfacing is too much memory being available (rather than too little, oddly enough). You can check this by using the command "loadfix" before starting the game. If it then runs, great. If not, you might try installing real DOS inside DOSBox and running from there.

Reply 4 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I vaguely recall running across something like that before. I suspect it's something like Runtime Error 200, in the sense that it's triggered by the processor being too fast - in which case the solution is to lower DOSBox's cycles as much as you can stand.

Reply 5 of 25, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Runtime error 200 is division by zero, which is (in that case) is caused by the processor being too fast to do the timing calculation in the old Turbo Pascal's CRT unit. Runtime error 216 is general protection fault, usually the result of a NULL pointer dereference. That is not likely to be the result of processor speed (although nothing is impossible, of course, just extremely unlikely).

Reply 6 of 25, by Loki_89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So options:
-Install real DOS into dosbox.
-Get down the memory (look that command "loadfix")
-Get down cycles

How can i do the first one? Where i can get an older dos version?

Thnks for the ideas anyways ^^

Reply 8 of 25, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not actually try the other two options first? It takes less time to try those than to even think about the other one... or posting here.

Reply 9 of 25, by Loki_89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not english, so i'm not allways sure about what i understand of i read, i prefer to confirm a little and say thnks... cause you are great people helping, i haven't been able to try anything yet, i'm in clas, so i will report later if it doenst bothers you...

C U

Reply 10 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can attach a saved game at some point right before the crash, I can take a poke at it.

Reply 11 of 25, by Loki_89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, thats a nice idea, but i dont know how works the saved games on there, i can look for it...

On the other hand, i dont understand the rest of you said... "I can take a poke at it", are you saying that you can do that, or i understand wrong?

Well: Tryed with msize=4, problem stay
Tryed with cpu 486_slow and cycles=fixed 4000, problem stay
Done loadfix before game start, problem still there...
Next step? Try win 3.1/11 (maybe i have some disketes out there of my father in boxes, the other day y saw lotus disks xD) or if not, try with freedos?

No more ideas so?

EDIT: The games generates a file .cfg in the game directory, if you know how modify it say it so...

PD: As a strange thing, on dosbox, it says Runtime error 216 at 0002 : 3724, on my old pc with win 98, i dont know the dos ver., it says "at 0004 : 2A9E" just for infno...

Last edited by Loki_89 on 2009-10-13, 21:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I meant that I can try to duplicate the problem on my computer and see if I can find a solution. I have a copy of that game somewhere.

The easiest way to find the saved games would be to go to the game's directory and look for the file that was modified most recently.

The game is definitely a DOS game. It is extremely unlikely that Windows 3.1 will help.

Reply 13 of 25, by Loki_89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here it is... just when you load the game, go right, enter on a cave, read a mensage from the girl, and enter the next cave, before anything starts, it should crash...

Thnks for your help buddy...

Reply 14 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, the CFG extension suggests that is the config file. You probably want the second-most recently modified file.

Reply 15 of 25, by Loki_89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ALL the other files have a date of 1996 or 1997...so they are not, the only way is this... (And there are no hidden files)

moddate.jpg

And the help files are only a "How to play", nothing more.

Reply 16 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah. Right you are.

Loki_89 wrote:

Here it is... just when you load the game, go right, enter on a cave, read a mensage from the girl, and enter the next cave, before anything starts, it should crash...

No crash here. DOSBox 0.73, standard configuration. I also didn't have that weird sound effect problem you described in that other thread.

It is quite possible that for some reason I have a newer version of the game than you do. In particular, RTM.EXE and DPMI168I.OVL look like standard Borland libraries.

I have created an MD5 file, which is one of the best ways to check if two files are identical. If you're not familiar with those, get WinMD5 from here. Drag and drop the MD5 file onto the WinMD5 main window, then drag and drop the files from your Dig-It directory. See if it says they're different.

Reply 17 of 25, by Loki_89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Done... and the answer scared me a little...

See it by yourself...

md5.jpg

Emmm... what can i do now? Cause my game is original, with his case and everything, if it was form anywere of inet, it wouldnt be strange that some files where changed, but from a cd -.-

OMG what a shit, it was nearly the game of my live...
Ideas? 😅

Reply 18 of 25, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just because the files are different doesn't mean that it's not an original or even a corrupt version. It may simply be that there is a bug that was fixed and a new version has been released. Maybe you have version 1.00 and Jorpho has 1.01 or something. Go look for a version number somewhere before jumping to conclusions. Of course, it would be nasty if he does have a newer version and that difference were indeed the cause of the bug. In that case, all you can do is try to get that new version.

Reply 19 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kippesoep wrote:

It may simply be that there is a bug that was fixed and a new version has been released. Maybe you have version 1.00 and Jorpho has 1.01 or something.

Precisely. Unfortunately, I can't find a version number anywhere (even with a hex editor), nor can I find an upgrade patch anywhere.

But it really isn't difficult to find a download for the version I'm using...