VOGONS

First post, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play Road Hog in DOSBox, but I keep getting the message "Error opening file ROAD.CFG".

I tried the same set of game files on a Windows 98 VMWare, and it runs fine without such a file in existence.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this, and knows of a solution.

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

Reply 2 of 18, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I did. It detected and tested the sound stuff fine, it's just running the game that doesn't work.

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

Reply 4 of 18, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just did "attrib -R" to ensure nothing in there is read-only, and NTFS security is all inherited so I have write access... :s

Edit: Could I try your road.cfg file?

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

Reply 5 of 18, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, then I can't think of anything other than a mounting issue; did you install your game in DOSBox? If not, please do so, and keep your mounting settings the same prior to running the game. If that does not work, I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Reply 6 of 18, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep I did. I've tried both from my original floppy disks (the dual-disk full version) and another from some abandon-ware site, neither worked.

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

Reply 9 of 18, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CombatGold1 wrote:

Could I try your road.cfg file?

Attachments

• Filename
    ROAD.zip
    File size
    143 Bytes
    Downloads
    312 downloads
    File comment
    sure
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 18, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, saving that file worked 😀
Although I get another error now: "HISCORES.HSC" not found :p

Edit: Solved this by creating a blank file. It then complained it couldn't read offset 1700something, so I just added plenty of spaces and now it works. The same happened for "CUSTOM.HSC", same solution.

Really looks like this game is having trouble writing to the DOSBox hard disk.

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

Reply 13 of 18, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

In which directory/folder/path on your real filesystem is the game installed?

DOSBox drive C is mounted to "C:\Documents and Settings\Adam Reece\My Documents\My Applications\DOS Box\HDD".
Within that HDD folder, it then goes "\Games\Roadhog".

Attached my DOSBox configuration in case it helps.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    8.06 KiB
    Downloads
    328 downloads
    File comment
    My DOSBox Configuration (2009-11-24)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

Reply 14 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting, I didn't know that you could mount relative paths in DOSBox. I've always mounted absolute paths (e.g. mount c c:\users\public\games instead of mount c games). I don't like having programs stored under my Documents and Settings folder though - it seems as backwards as having documents and settings under Program Files :p

Reply 15 of 18, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know that you could mount relative paths in DOSBox. I've always mounted absolute paths (e.g. mount c c:\users\public\games instead of mount c games).

Yeah it works fine, I don't think it works with the Ultrasound path though. Although I don't use Ultrasound much, I seem to remember some error when I tried using a relative path.

HunterZ wrote:

I don't like having programs stored under my Documents and Settings folder though - it seems as backwards as having documents and settings under Program Files :p

heh I only keep applications/tools in there that are for me only, and don't require installers -- which are all very small applications.

Thanks,

Adam Reece.