VOGONS

Caesar 2

Topic actions

First post, by AnoNunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey

I'm running Dosbox in XP SP3 and trying to get Caesar 2 working. Can anyone tell me what settings they've used to get optimum result?

Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Outside of your mounting commands, mostly defaults. Just set core=normal and cycles=10000 or you may get sound stutter.

Mods, shouldn't this be moved to the DOSBox forum?

Reply 2 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[Moved to DOSBox Games/Apps. Section]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 6, by AnoNunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info.
@Mod eL_PuSHeR: Sorry for posting twice in wrong section. Will be sure to check that it's the DOSBox Games/Apps. next time.

Reply 4 of 6, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll drag this one up, because I have a similar problem, and I think I know what the OP was getting at. Caesar 2 for Windows won't work on my PC, which is why I'm using the DOS version. Plus the DOS version looks better.

There's actually just one fairly trivial but rather weird and annoying problem - set to 10000 cycles or more, the game more or less works fine, no problems with sound or music, except for speech. Whenever the introduction to each region is spoken, the game comes to a grinding slowdown, the speech stutters like mad, and the mouse jerks around and moves like its running through treacle. The same happens on the oracle screen, which is the only other screen on which the narrator speaks. There's no problem with other sound effects, and the problem can only be remedied by either switching the sound effects off via SETSOUND or setting the CPU cycle count to 3000, which is far too low for the game itself. I've tried different IRQ values, tried it with SB1, SBPRO, SB16 and GUS, with dynamic and normal cores, different CPU types.

It should be noted that this does NOT happen on a real DOS PC, so I suspect the problem is in DOSBox itself, even if I haven't encountered this issue with many other games.

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 5 of 6, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Does this help?

cycles=max limit 10000