VOGONS

First post, by AnoNunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all.

I've been trying to get a game I played years ago to work in DosBox. The game is called Sword Quest 2, developed by NGS Software. I can't find any links to the game's info other than abandonware sites. Therefore I'm not going to link in case that breaks the rules.

With that said the game is an old RPG wreleased in 1993 with very basic graphics and sounds. I have part one (which has nearly identical graphics) of the game working and duplicated the profile for Sword Quest 2 but it doesn't seem to work. It takes about ten seconds for the game to launch 🙁

Any help with settings would be appreciated 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it looks like dynamic/normal core and higher/max cycles doesn't help
(game always starts randomly from 15-45 seconds)

The only thing that helps is alt-f12

Reply 2 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[Moved to DOSBox Games/Apps. Section]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Both games attempt to set the system time with INT 21/2D, which DOSBox does not allow. The second game gets a bit confused if the time is not altered; but if the time *is* altered the startup only takes about 2 seconds at max cycles and 4 seconds at 3000 cycles on my system. Booting real DOS in DOSBox works, because real DOS allows the time to be set.

Reply 4 of 12, by AnoNunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm only a beginner to DosBox. Could you please explain how to do this in DosBox or DFend Reloaded (DosBox Frontend)?

Also I found that if I camp in the game it kills/stalls/lockups DosBox. Can anyone give any idea what's up with that?

Thanks

Reply 5 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

for both problems keep alt-f12 pressed (it fast forwards dosbox)

Reply 6 of 12, by AnoNunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alt+F12 does seem to be a good work around to make the game playable. Thanks for the help 😀

Reply 7 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are a number of places the timing is off because of not being able to set the system time. When you die is another one.

Reply 8 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Sounds like it could work in MB5. And a reason to add it to SVN 😀

1+1=10

Reply 9 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

but it doesn't 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hope you have consistency in all the times/dates.

Reply 11 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As consistency is blown to mars when DOSBox reaches midnight and no such complaint has hit the forum AFAIK it can't be that important.

But since it doesn't work anyway... forget it 😀

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't know what the case is with MB5, but the timing in the game DOES work normally if INT 21/2D is properly implemented. And IMO, DOSBox is "inconsistent" in that it lets you set the date but not the time.

EDIT: I checked the MB5 source, and INT 21/2D is not implemented.