VOGONS

First post, by DomainsofDread

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am a DOSBOX newbie, and I am having trouble with my Ravenloft game, Strahd's possession. I use the default configuration for DOSBOX and setup my music and sound for MIDI/Roland and SB16, respectively.

My issue is that I have no voice sound, at all. No narration, no creepy strahd voice, nothing. I have troubleshooted it for several hours now, and I have not figured it out. I still have normal music (its pretty darn good, actually), and sounds, like weapons, growling worgs, and weird goblyn noises sound fine. The beginning cat meow and card dealing works fine in the intro as well. The intro still plays the music.

I am using DOSBOX on XP, and have used several other old-school dnd games with no issues, such as Eye of the Beholder III and my fav, Darksun: Shattered Lands (although the COK character save issue still plagues me).

RECAP:

Standard DOSBOX Configuration

DOSBOX Version = 0.74 (The voice failed in 0.73 as well)

Blaster is A220, I7, D1, H5 T6 (I have no idea what the T means)

Gravi is set at 240, 3, 3, 5, 5.

Music is Roland / General MIDI

Sound is SB16.

All settings are otherwise default. System is XP, although I do not if that means anything with a shell emulator like Dosbox.

The game plays normally in all other ways = spellcasting, saving, combat, movement, etc.

If anything can assist me, that would be great. 😅

-DomainsofDread

Reply 1 of 2, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've finished that game under dosbox and can attest that it works, voice and all...however, an interesting issue arises: is it the original CD, the floppy version (unlike stone prophet that one had a floppy release) or one of those evil rips floating around the internet?
If it's the floppy version, you won't get voices, you do say the growls, clanks and such work so...the sound card is playing digitized sounds properly.
The T in the blaster env. is the sound card type, it gets set automatically (as everything else in that variable) with the settings in your dosbox.conf (or the .conf file you use)
If you have the original CD you must mount it, that will probably solve your voice issue.
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT
If you have made an image out of your CD (as the docs recommend, I recall) use imgmount.
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/IMGMOUNT
Hope some of this helps you.

Bloodbat