VOGONS

First post, by skyrunner14

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all! Just the other day, I got a CD version of System Shock at a local thrift store. Now I'm trying to get the blasted thing to work... I followed the instructions here, and while I was able to setup the sound system just fine, trying to install the game or choose the directory to install it to nets me an error that says: Cannot write to that directory please try a different directory game. I created a folder called "sshock" in the "OLDGAMES" folder, and I have everything that needs to be mounted, mounted. Can anyone offer any advice as to what I need to do to install the game? I will appreciate any help given. 😀

Reply 2 of 7, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skyrunner14 wrote:

I created a folder called "sshock" in the "OLDGAMES" folder, and I have everything that needs to be mounted, mounted. Can anyone offer any advice as to what I need to do to install the game? I will appreciate any help given. 😀

Just to be certain...mind pasting your mounts? Sounds like it's trying to write to the CDROM...

Reply 4 of 7, by skyrunner14

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First I mounted the folder I made for the game in my C:...

Z:\>MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES
Drive C is mounted as local directory C:/OLDGAMES

Then I mounted the CD-Rom drive I put the CD into...

Z:\>MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom
MSCDEX installed.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom D:\

I hope that helps.

EDIT: I got the game to work! I had the wrong directory set after all. Now it's all installed. 😊

But now if I have another minor problem. The game runs fine when windowed, but it's really slow when played in fullscreen. Not the in-game fullscreen, mind you, but DOSBox's (Alt+Enter). Is there any way to remedy this?